Confusion about "Some People Say" in Ex. 3 in Advanced Premise/Conclusion Lesson 16/18

JCEM2021JCEM2021 Core Member
edited March 2021 in Logical Reasoning 22 karma

In lesson 16 of 18, we are told that "some people say" is not part of the argument, but in the explanation to Exercise 3 in Lesson 16, we are told the phrase does introduce the author's argument. Could we get a definitive answer from 7Sage or LSAC about this seeming contradiction?

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lesson/quiz-advanced-premise-conclusion-identification-1-answers/

Comments

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    edited March 2021 1687 karma

Hello, there is not a definitive answer it depends on how the stimulus is set up, but generally the 'some people say' is the other people's argument/context. "some people say" would be be introducing the 'other people's argument' (OPA). Sometimes their argument (Context) is needed in order to draw the conclusion or the correct answer choice. Many times the OPA is just there to give context to set up the authors argument which is normally indicated by a transition word (but, however, since, yet, ect.). Many times the stimulus says 'some people say X. But they are wrong(likely the main conclusion). So the 'some people say' is what the author is objecting to and then the author will follow with support. In this case the 'some people say' is needed in the argument if not the (but they are wrong) and the premise(s) that follow would not make as much sense. For example: But they are wrong. They are wrong because it was not possible to see that particular star at the time they said they saw it. The cloud cover would have been too thick for anyone to see though. Without the OPAs, the stimulus would be awkward (who is they? what did they claim/do?)and very simple.
    I hope this helps and I hope I understood your question correctly.

• JCEM2021JCEM2021 Core Member
    22 karma

I think I understand your explanation, You wrote:

"In this case the 'some people say' is needed in the argument if not the (but they are wrong) and the premise(s) that follow would not make as much sense.

Did you mean to write:

"In this case the 'some people say' is needed in the argument because if it wasn't there, the 'but they are wrong' phrase and the premise(s) that follow would not make as much sense."?

Thank you.

1687 karma

@liz.morrill
    Yes that is what I meant!
    My apologies.

• 2567ZRdt2567ZRdt Alum Member
    82 karma

Sorry, I have a little difficulty following your example. Is it possible for you to find an LSAT question to illustrate the idea? Thanks,

1687 karma

@2567ZRdt
    Here is a problem where the context plays a big role in the stimulus but is not part of the argument(not a premise or conclusion). Plus, if the context was removed then the stimulus would not make much sense. I can try and find one from a later test so you do not have to break a new PT but if you have taken this PT then go check it out. Or if you plan on only taking 3 section(flex) PTs then check it out because this is the second LR section in PT83.
    https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-83-section-3-question-04/

• 2567ZRdt2567ZRdt Alum Member
    82 karma

I got it. Thank you very much for your effort.