Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR review advice? Finished core courses, doing worse on LR than before.

After doing the LG and RC parts of 7Sage, I'm struggling with LR questions. It's only been a few weeks since I finished LR but I'm having trouble remembering the question types and tactics. Currently, I'm going back to each question type and watching the explainer video and doing some problem sets—and where I was quite good a month ago, I am not doing so hot right now. I am taking the flex in April (I promise I'm not slacking, I work a 10hr+/day job!).

Does anyone have good review tactics before I move to practice tests? Any advice/thoughts/materials would be greatly appreciated! Thanks & happy studying.

Comments

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

If you can squeeze it in, I would recommend reading the Loophole in Logical Reasoning by Ellen Cassidy. It really helped me see the similarities between all of the question types. It's also full of great advice and helpful drills.

• SufficientConditionSufficientCondition Alum Member
    311 karma

@SagerSaige said:
    After doing the LG and RC parts of 7Sage, I'm struggling with LR questions. It's only been a few weeks since I finished LR but I'm having trouble remembering the question types and tactics. Currently, I'm going back to each question type and watching the explainer video and doing some problem sets—and where I was quite good a month ago, I am not doing so hot right now. I am taking the flex in April (I promise I'm not slacking, I work a 10hr+/day job!).

Does anyone have good review tactics before I move to practice tests? Any advice/thoughts/materials would be greatly appreciated! Thanks & happy studying.

Hi Saige,

A tutor can help arrange your schedule to get the most out of the time you do have. Otherwise, I'd recommend using the question bank to drill sets 5-10 LR questions by type.

• 120_or_bust120_or_bust Core Member
    124 karma

@"Burt Reynolds" said:
    If you can squeeze it in, I would recommend reading the Loophole in Logical Reasoning by Ellen Cassidy. It really helped me see the similarities between all of the question types. It's also full of great advice and helpful drills.

@"Burt Reynolds":

I read through Loophole and started doing the drills and CLIR, but I'm having trouble making my CLIR decisions work with the answer choices. Any advice for that?

I'd make a CLIR and see the stem, but then I'm frequently stuck on how the CLIR can get rid of answer choices. I sort of default to "powerful/provable" or "not red flag" choices, but I still seem to get a bunch wrong.

I really like Loophole but wish that Ellen (or someone) could do video explanations too!

• dela_Vertdela_Vert Member
    6 karma

I use a separate text book for LR studying (power score) and I've had better results. I got a used older addition since I don't need access to the same practice tests.

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

I read through Loophole and started doing the drills and CLIR, but I'm having trouble making my CLIR decisions work with the answer choices. Any advice for that?

I think the key is repetition. The more stimuli you see, the more likely you're going to be to able to anticipate the right AC w/ CLIR. At least that's been the case for me. I think it's especially true for argument based questions (flaw, strengthen, weaken, eval). I also look to the question stem first before CLIRing, which I know Ellen would hate lol.

• 4 karma

@SagerSaige said:

Hi, I recently signed up with 7Sage, and I was having that same trouble you are having now, but prior to signing up with 7sage, I got worse and worse back in 2019, however, I did not give up. Once I signed up and started the LR, I realize my problem rest in the way I thought about each question. This might sound simple, but changing how you think about each question will make a MAJOR difference. For example the MSS questions, - I was looking at it from a completely different way. Check how you are thinking, when you encounter the different questions.

Once I listened to the instructor and then pause between and process what he was saying. Is like a light bulb went off in my head, I was like "O" my problem is how I thought about this question, so for every MSS answer choice, I asked myself, can I support my choice, based on the information I have? It is not always easy, but this was a MAJOR breakthrough for me.

Then I had ALOT of problems with weakening questions, I kept trying to weakening the conclusion - WRONG MOVE, once I heard this instructor stress the fact about weakening the support, I was like "O" however, I did not get it at first, but I had to think about it for couple hours to a day - seriously, because I had to rid my mind of the old way I thought about the question. So the good news is now my mindset has change completely for the first time. I just need to pick up on speed, which will come with practice. But the best advice I could give is change how you think about each problem and follow the instructor carefully, he knows exactly what he is saying.

Happy studying - you can do this!

• SagerSaigeSagerSaige Member
    18 karma

@"Burt Reynolds" said:

Thank you!! I'll look into it

• SagerSaigeSagerSaige Member
    18 karma

@Mcgregorsuzanne76 said:

@SagerSaige said:

Hi, I recently signed up with 7Sage, and I was having that same trouble you are having now, but prior to signing up with 7sage, I got worse and worse back in 2019, however, I did not give up. Once I signed up and started the LR, I realize my problem rest in the way I thought about each question. This might sound simple, but changing how you think about each question will make a MAJOR difference. For example the MSS questions, - I was looking at it from a completely different way. Check how you are thinking, when you encounter the different questions.

Once I listened to the instructor and then pause between and process what he was saying. Is like a light bulb went off in my head, I was like "O" my problem is how I thought about this question, so for every MSS answer choice, I asked myself, can I support my choice, based on the information I have? It is not always easy, but this was a MAJOR breakthrough for me.

Then I had ALOT of problems with weakening questions, I kept trying to weakening the conclusion - WRONG MOVE, once I heard this instructor stress the fact about weakening the support, I was like "O" however, I did not get it at first, but I had to think about it for couple hours to a day - seriously, because I had to rid my mind of the old way I thought about the question. So the good news is now my mindset has change completely for the first time. I just need to pick up on speed, which will come with practice. But the best advice I could give is change how you think about each problem and follow the instructor carefully, he knows exactly what he is saying.

Happy studying - you can do this!

This is incredibly helpful, thank you!!!!