PT2.S4.Q4 - Sales tax on gasoline

Lizardking-1Lizardking-1 Member
edited March 2021 in Logical Reasoning 358 karma

Can someone help explain the reasoning for the correct answer? I'm having a tough time sorting through this one. It seems like Antoine's response to Giselle consists of 2 separate arguments: 1) the gas tax shouldn't be increased because its unfair. 2) If it is increased, the burden of providing the government revenue should be spread between consumers and non-consumers.
I understand that Antione's description of "the burden" as "providing the government with increased tax revenues," is technically incorrect, because the burden should be described as "decreasing petroleum consumption" or something similar. What I don't understand is how this demonstrates that he really is defining the burden itself rather than simply describing an outcome of the tax increase. Cant he describe the burden as an increase in government revenue, and still recognize that its purpose is to decrease petroleum consumption. Any insights are greatly appreciated! #HELP

Comments

• nnnnnnzzzznnnnnnzzzz Member
    177 karma

Giselle: The government should raise tax on gasoline because doing so will deter people from using gasoline.
    Antione: The government shouldn't do so because it's unfair to gasoline users and if the government would like to increase its tax revenues they should spread the tax increase to everyone.
    Giselle: What? Um. Come again. Did you ever listen to what I said? --> Technically what the correct AC said, or at least figuratively.

• nnnnnnzzzznnnnnnzzzz Member
    177 karma

Also Antoine's C is the government shouldn't raise tax because (1) it is not fair and (2) to be fair you have to make everyone suffer from tax increase and not just gasoline users.