Studying for June LSAT - Already Completed LSAT Trainer

daimorrodaimorro Member
edited March 2021 in Study Guides/Cheat Sheets 75 karma

Hi everyone! I completed the LSAT Trainer and my highest PT was a 163. I decided to start using 7Sage after hearing good reviews on the program. Since I have prior exposure to the LSAT through the trainer, I am asking for advice on how I should structure my study schedule before the June exam using 7Sage? I'm guessing since I've already done the trainer, I won't need the full range of the program, but I'm not sure exactly where to start.

Comments

• AlexJ_LSATAlexJ_LSAT Core Member
    141 karma

When I completed the Trainer, I completed problem sets and practice tests. I would say practice then review what you got wrong. Review the lessons where there may be gaps. For me, I noticed that there were gaps in my understanding of Sufficent/Necessary Assumptions; I reviewed the 7Sage lessons on these ideas.

• daimorrodaimorro Member
    75 karma

Thanks so much Alex! :)

• yunonsieyunonsie Member
    611 karma

I also scored a 163 after Trainer and then went onto 7sage (been here the last three months and improved to mid-high 60s) - so hopefully I can help cuz I honestly fumbled through the transition lmao.

I would recommend going through at least some of the core curriculum. I benefited from the lessons on causation/correlation, flaws (7sage's list is more comprehensive), valid arguments, and lawgic, even though it was honestly a pain to make myself sit through the stuff I already knew. But there was content that helped me get through the test much more quickly. I think a good example is the idea of a conditional rule "falling away" once the sufficient condition has failed - I couldn't have figured that out from the book alone, although I'm sure some people can. I also prefer 7sage's approach to "identify the disagreement" questions and A/B RC passages.

That being said, I'm still happy I did Trainer first. I liked the mindset it got me in and thought it put me in a good place to start with 7sage. Good luck!

• Austin.hutchinson1Austin.hutchinson1 Core Member
    104 karma

Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer and accompanying website are genuinely really solid. I, too, have moved on from it and don't even think about whatever his LG diagramming system entails; aside from some targeted things I need to work on, I'm happy with my instincts regarding diagramming and just do what makes the most sense to me. Most of the time, it's not far off from the powerscore examples or really any other site. For LG and diagramming, I think I've picked up wisdom from all sorts of sources, but I personally have to just do the templates and diagramming as it occurs to me for a particular game, only afterward reflecting on how it could have been handled better.

However, I also spun my wheels for a while after the trainer and hesitated for way way too long to pay for preptest plus and still haven't signed up for 7sage. Waiting on a fee waiver appeal, so we'll see.

Without any firsthand experience, I'll just say that immersing yourself in online environment such as 7sage is going to be a whole lot better for you for a lot of reasons than putzing around with more print books or haphazard self-study. I did haphazard self-study and my main problem is my performance just isn't consistent, which probably means my fundamentals are weak in certain areas and I'm not even seeing what I'm doing wrong to be able to fix it, so as soon as I get that waiver, I'm going to do 7sage AND LSAT Demon, but with no interest in core curriculum beyond cherry picking some lessons.

As for where you should start with 7sage given that youve done the lsat trainer, off the top of my head is do a lot of practice and get as much exposure to real test questions as possible, real sections, real whole preptests, and I'm sure while doing that you'll quickly find out which resources you wanna use from the options provided with 7sage premium memberships. So what I'd say is just start doing tests and poring over the results on 7sage asap, and the rest will come in to better focus

• daimorrodaimorro Member
    75 karma

All of you have been so helpful! Thank you all so so much! :smiley: