PT 53.S4.Q24 (P4) - sometimes there is no more effective means

blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
edited January 2016 in General 3545 karma
Can somebody please explain the correct answer choice? I thought all of these answer choice were terrible/unsupported.
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-53-section-4-passage-4-passage/
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-53-section-4-passage-4-questions/

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Ok gurl I got u ... lemme pull it up.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Infer/author most likely to agree //about the use of predators to control pest populations.

A) Parathion does not kill cyclamen but rather their predators (Typh.). Wrong/Factually Inaccurate
    B) The effects of predators have been assessed (namely by several studies mentioned in the passage) BUT the mention of "beneficial insects" is very tricky. I initially eliminated this, but returning to it and zeroing in on "beneficial insects" makes me pause. What if a predator were to be introduced that would kill the Typh. and thus drive cyclamen populations wild? But we don't really have anything on "Beneficial insects"—and predators themselves may be beneficial insects. Wrong/Out of scope
    C) This was the only one I did not eliminate on first pass. Returning to it, this would require a small leap, which could be appropriate for this question type; I hesitate at "only if," as there may be other reasons not to use pesticides; none, however, are given. The studies cited tend to support that this means of pest control is sustainable due to the adaptability of Typh.—whereas pesticides would require re-application.
    D) We don't really have evidence that he'd support pesticides over predators if pesticides would be effective for both. Wrong/Out of scope
    E) Predators do not control pest populations more effectively BECAUSE they do not harm crops ... They control them more effectively because pesticides mentioned kill predators and not the pests. Wrong/FI

Ultimately C is right because there is nothing that directly contradicts it in the passage. Even if it might not be his favorite statement, it is the only one with which he COULD conceivably agree and thus the one of the choices at hand with which he would be most likely to agree.