PT42.S4.Q16 - The obligation to express gratitude

Rev_LefeRev_Lefe Member
edited April 2021 in Logical Reasoning 385 karma

Hi, I chose the right answer, but I just wanna know how the psychologist reasons.
I thought the argument would have made more sense if the conclusion were "expressing gratitude anonymously is bad for the society."
So, what support does the psychologist uses to conclude there is an obligation to express gratitude, which cannot be fulfilled anonymously? Is the support from "the important social function [...]"?

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-42-section-4-question-16/

Comments

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    edited April 2021 500 karma

This took a while for me to parse out, so I’m glad it was only an Arg. Part question, but I think it says the following: human psychology relies on personal interaction. In order to get people to continue doing good things for other people (positively reinforcing those behaviours that have beneficial consequences), the person who has done the good thing (benefactor) must know who feels grateful (the source of gratitude). Therefore, gratitude cannot be done anonymously.

So I think you’re right that the support is from ‘the important social function..’.

• Rev_LefeRev_Lefe Member
    385 karma

Okay, so for LSAC, a thing for certain purpose is a premise to conclude the thing to be a duty. Thanks, McBeck418!