Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use to keep track of time? Special "LSAT Watches"?

bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
edited May 2015 in General 522 karma
Hey everyone, hope everyone is studying hard!

I saw a recent post here about the LSAT 180 Watch, can't seem to find it anymore so I'm thinking it was maybe against the TOS, not sure.

Anyway I'm wondering what everyone uses to keep track of time, I'm just using an online stop watch for now, but when I get closer to taking real PTs I'm probably investing in a cheap analog watch, so if anyone had any suggestions please leave them below!

Comments

• blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    LSAT max was having a sale so I bought a watch for like $15-20. I feel kind of bad for funneling even more money into this test but I do like that it's just one less thing I have to worry about during the test. They will probably have a sale within a week or two before the June test (if it's anything like February) so you might be able to get a discount.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2015 1489 karma
    People like to rag on the 180 Watch for various reasons but I've found it helpful. Quieter and less frequent tick (every 2 seconds) and just push a button to reset. It's a essentially a timer, except that it's legal. Aside from that, any old analogy watch should do the trick.
  • bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    @blah170blah said:
    LSAT max was having a sale so I bought a watch for like $15-20.
    I looked it up and that seems like a decent watch, it's at $29 which is USD, so going to be a bit higher for me, but I'll keep an eye on it if it goes on sale, thanks!
    @brna0714 said:
    People like to rag on the 180 Watch for various reasons but I've found it helpful. Quieter and less frequent tick (every 2 seconds) and just push a button to reset. It's a essentially a time, except that it's legal. Aside from that, any old analogy watch should do the trick.
    Yeah I think it's primarily the price, I mean it's $60 and then shipping is another $15 if you want tracking. I did really want the 180 Watch but I would buy it used, and I don't think anyone on here is selling it =(.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    @bsM45LSAT Have you checked TLS? Ebay? I'm sure someone somewhere is selling one used.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Try 35minutes.com ! I love mine--was about $30 total and you can choose from different watch faces. It's indispensable to my prep. I have the watch face with 4 8 minute sections and a final 3 minute "red zone." It's trained me to work for 8 minute games/passages and to think ahead to those final 3 minutes.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2015 4181 karma
    I purchased the LSATMax watch, which requires you to use a dial. It'll serve it's purpose, I suppose, but it'll take some planning to make sure you're not wasting time resetting the watch. More importantly, I'm so jealous I didn't think to use Phoenix Wright as my pic.
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    My 180 watch broke - I do not recommend. Do what JY suggests: Get a 16 dollar sports watch with a spinning bezel on Amazon and just set it to 12:00 every time. It works better than my 180 watch ever did!

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-MRW200H-1BV-Black-Resin-Watch/dp/B005JVP0LE/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1431738854&sr=1-2&keywords=casio+watch+bezel
    7965 karma
    @"Quick Silver" Ouch. Thanks for sharing that tip though. Too bad!

The 35minutes.com watches are the same watches JY is talking about but with an LSAT specific color coded face. Me likey.
    522 karma
    @danielznelson said:
    More importantly, I'm so jealous I didn't think to use Phoenix Wright as my pic.
    OBJECTION!! I was waiting for someone to get the reference!
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    The 35minutes.com watches are the same watches JY is talking about but with an LSAT specific color coded face. Me likey.
    Out of everything everyone has recommended I prefer the ones that you linked, only problem is that the $28 ones are out of stock, so I'd have to buy the $55 ones =(, which I'm so confused because they're practically replicas aside from being a different layout.

I suppose I'll wait for them to get back in stock.

I live in a small town, and I'm fairly certain everyone that will write the LSAT where I live will just use the wall clock, so I'd probably look really crazy if I came in with a 180 watch anyway lol.
    7965 karma
    @bSM45LSAT well there could be said to be certain advantages in distracting your competition :)
    edited May 2015 522 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    well there could be said to be certain advantages in distracting your competition :)
    Hahaha indeed!

Speaking of distractions, last year when some students were writing the LSAT at my university, there was construction going on to make some new additions to the law school.

Let's just say I heard quite a few stories of people withdrawing.

Here's hoping it doesn't happen again X_X.
  • deleted accountdeleted account Free Trial Member
    393 karma
    I purchased this and used it in February. Will use it again in June. $10. Takes 2 seconds to reset the minute hand to X:25. When the minute hand is vertical, time's up. In February I reset while instructions were being read for next section.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-MQ24-7B2-Analog-Watch-Black/dp/B000GB0G7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431832742&sr=8-1&keywords=analog+watch
  • shermankrsshermankrs Alum Member
    80 karma
    @josephellengar does that Casio watch have any ticking sound? I have a watch that I bought but it kind of ticks loudly and is distracting so I am looking for a cheapish watch that doesn't have a ticking sound. Thanks.
  • hrjones44hrjones44 Alum Member
    323 karma
    a regular watch
  • deleted accountdeleted account Free Trial Member
    393 karma
    @shermankrs:

Nope. Completely silent.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    thanks to @nicole.hopkins for the 35minutes recommendation... I just started PTing for October and had time tracking issues on the first two PTs which mostly hurt me just because I was so distracted... I ordered a 35minutes watch last week and can't wait to try it out! I'll let y'all know how it goes...
  • StopLawyingStopLawying Alum Member
    821 karma
    Here's a $5 off code for the 180 watch, highly recommended and comes with a 6 month warranty. Plus, you're able to resell the watch so it's a good investment IMO.
    Code: xK98aS
    ENJOY!
  • bingsunbingsun Free Trial Member
    4 karma
    I bought this, and I am using it while doing PTs right now. completely silent, and it is able to stand like a tripod so the the dial actually faces you, not flat on the table. just set to 5 every time, so you have 35 min left till it get to 12.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GAYQU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    edited May 2015 578 karma
    @blah170blah How do you like the LSATMax watch? Even if it doesn't go on sale in June, it's still way cheaper than the 180 watch and they look like pretty much the same thing. Also, is the face of the watch a reasonable size? It looked sort of small in the Youtube vid I saw of it.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    The face, along with every other aspect of the watch, is perfect. Get it a week or so early so you can take practice tests with it.
  • mmurray9mmurray9 Alum Member
    13 karma
    @bSM45LSAT I too saw that the test timer watches are sold out except for the $55 ones. I found this comparable watch though for half the price http://toptiertimer.com/products/toptiertimer-custom-watch-for-lsat-exam
    edited May 2015 522 karma
    @mmurray9 said:
    @bSM45LSAT I too saw that the test timer watches are sold out except for the $55 ones. I found this comparable watch though for half the price http://toptiertimer.com/products/toptiertimer-custom-watch-for-lsat-exam
    Oh nice, decent price, and that watch doesn't look half bad either. I wonder if it'll stand up without having to wear it.

edit: $15 shipping makes it close to $50 USD, which is $61 CAD... damn it.
  • mmurray9mmurray9 Alum Member
    13 karma
    @bSM45LSAT weird, I got the one I posted about for around $30 with S&H. It doesn't stand on it's own. I'm going to return in and buy the one discussed earlier in this forum. They are back in stock.
    7965 karma
    My watch stands up like a pro—if you play with the strap, you might be able to get that to happen with yours as well!! Also you could just tape the strap so it stays in a tripod, just offering a lil' white trash fixin' wisdom, y'all ...
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    Haven't read all 500 comments lol but I got a Casio watch from Amazon that has been so damn good I even use it at the gym. It has a rotating bezel, meaning you can set the start time for sections, and yes it's acceptable by LSAC standards. It's analog and the rotating bezel is silent; not the clicking kind. I just feel like if you're spending 30 bucks, you may as well use it for other things as well. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-MRW200H-1BV-Black-Resin-Watch/dp/B005JVP0LE/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1433195257&sr=1-5&keywords=analog+dive+watch

And NO, I'm not affiliated with Casio or the seller
  • SodaPressingSodaPressing Alum Member
    edited June 2015 6 karma
    I purchased the LSAT Timer watch off amazon..... During THE practice test before the real deal it stopped working. I only had it for a week. Here's what I found work for me:
    Have a trusty watch, and set it at 12:00 every section. serves the same purpose. Also, the second location I took my LSAT projected the digital* time on the screen. It was PERFECT. I had insight to that, so if you can find out whether your testing location projects the time you might have your problem solved :-)
  • ESESESESESESESES Member
    55 karma
    Does anyone know whether you are allowed to bring several (2 or 3) watches into the testing room? (That way you wouldn't have to rewind them back between sections.)
    edited June 2015 522 karma
    Omg hahahahahhahaha. You probably could but that would be a little ridiculous don't you think. I think it would do more harm than good and just psyche you out.
    edited June 2015 522 karma
    Oh jeez.

So I finally decided on getting the watch shown here:

http://lsatwatch.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1229879

And total came to $37 USD which is $46 CAD, and although pricey I said whatever this is important.

Now I get an email from the person at the site saying that since I live in Canada, it's an additional $15 USD for shipping (note I paid $9 USD when I already checked out), and this brings the grand total to $52 USD or $64 CAD.

For a friggin watch... now I gotta find some sort of alternative. What I really liked about this watch was breaking down the sections into 4, would be really useful for RC.