PT65.S2.Q25 - All coffeehouse and restaurants are public places

Second Language-1-1Second Language-1-1 Alum Member
edited April 2021 in Logical Reasoning 82 karma

MBT Question:

All C and R are public places. Most well-designed public places feature art work.

Wrong Answer Choice: Most C that are well-designed feature art work.

I mistakenly thought that if all C and R are public places and most well-designed public places (which I believe a subset of public places) feature art work, then most C (which is a subset of public places) that are well-designed feature art work.

I diagrammed it to see why I was wrong, but still I am not 100% satisfied with my understanding on this question.

I understand that

Public Place WD --M--> Feature Artwork

C (which is a subset of public place) WD --M--> Feature Artwork

are not the same but still the wrong answer doesn't jump out to me as a horribly wrong answer choice.

Can someone share their thoughts on this question?

help

Thank you!

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-65-section-1-question-25/

Comments

• Lime Green DotLime Green Dot Member
    1384 karma

Your Q is mislabeled: It should be PT65.S1.25

Here are the things we know:
    [1] CH → PP
    [2] R → PP

Okay, keep these in mind, and let's look at the rest of the stimulus:

[3] WDPP ––m→ AW (you got this part!)
    [4] WDPP → CPP → SI (CPP is 'comfortable PP')

We know [WDPP → CPP] by taking the contrapositive of "if a PP is not comfortable, it is not WD" so we can quickly link it up with WDPP and SI.

The problem with answer choice (C) is that we can't assume that coffeehouses (writing this out for disambiguation) are part of most that's included in [WDPP ––m→ AW]. What if coffeehouses that are well-designed are among the subset that never ever feature AW? We don't know how big or small the group of coffeehouses is, relative to other kinds of WDPP and within the world of WDPP overall. We only know about 2 kinds of PP from the stimulus. There could be many other kinds, so what if WDPP that are coffeehouses are just 3% of the entire pie of WDPP? If none of these WD coffeehouses featured AW, [WDPP ––m→ AW] could still be true, b/c the coffeehouses are just 3% of WDPP in this case. More generally, even if most things in the world of WDPP do feature AW, we can't necessarily say this fact holds true for every single individual subset of WDPP (like coffeehouses or restaurants). In a way, I think it's kind of a whole-to-part error of assumption (what's true of the whole is not necessarily true for each part).

However, b/c we know that all PP are CPP and all CPP have SI, we can conclude that all coffeehouses that are WD do also have SI. Necessarily, every part of the group of WDPP must possess the attributes of being a CPP and one with SI.

Hope it helps! Let me know if anything was weird in my explanation : )

• Second Language-1-1Second Language-1-1 Alum Member
    82 karma

Thank you so much for your comment!

I think it's kind of a whole-to-part error of assumption (what's true of the whole is not necessarily true for each part).

This part helped me so much!

Looking back, big mistake I made was when I draw

WD CH --> WD PP --M--> AW

Therefore WD CH --M--> AW * which is one of the invalid conclusions we learned from CC.

I was equating WD CH with WD PP (WD CH = WD PP).

I realized that D is correct because

WD CH / R --> WD PP --> C PP --> SI

Therefore WD CH / R --> SI

A --> B --> C --> D

Therefore A --> D

Thank you again for your explanation! `