PT 28.S1.Q24 - Intrinsic properties of art work

Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
edited May 2021 in Logical Reasoning 2249 karma

I need help finding the main conclusion in this stimulus. I thought the first and last sentences were basically saying the exact same thing: that we ought to pay attention to the intrinsic properties of art. I read some explanations that involved diagramming and it just confused me further. I even tried putting the sentences back to back to see which supported which but just couldn't see it. Could someone help point out why the last sentence is the main conclusion and not the first?

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-28-section-1-question-24/

Comments

• Z.L.Z.L. Member
    8 karma
    1. Stimulus Breakdown
      Premise 1: we should care about intrinsic properties of art work, not exterior properties of art work (irrelevant to “aesthetic interaction”).
      Premise 2: for painting, we should only consider "what's presented in our experience”.
      Main Conclusion:
      (i) "aesthetic interaction" is "what's presented in our experience",
      (ii) "aesthetic interaction"is not "what symbolize".

2. Analysis
      For Conclusion (i), it's kind of safe to say so. After all, Premise 1 infers that "intrinsic properties" is relevant to "aesthetic interaction". And taking into account Premise 2, Conclusion (i) is deduced.
      However, for Conclusion (ii), "what symbolize" is a totally new element. So I guess this is where gap lies.

3. Q&A
      Q: Sufficient Assumption
      A: let's start with A. Bingo, "what symbolize" appears, and it's connected to "exterior properties", so Conclusion (ii) could be deduced when noting Premise 1.

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    2249 karma

But aren't the first and last sentences basically saying the same thing? In that case, how could I tell which is the MC and which the support? I get that there's a gap between extrinsic and "symbolize" but is there a less mechanical way of being able to tell which is the MC?