Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comp SOS

I feel solid with LG, can always be better with LR, but oh my, RC has me. For the life of me, I cannot seem to fix my timing issues. Every time I PT or drill, I try to force myself to go faster, and I always have far too many questions left. I cannot seem to finish this damn section on-time, or anything close to on-time. Does anyone have any tips or past eureka moments where they finally found themselves at least getting close to finishing RC on time? Any help - really anything - would be appreciated.

Comments

• esmetrontzesmetrontz Member
    37 karma

It will always be difficult for me but 2 major things have helped me a lot-
    1) Start by reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph. This gives me a really good sense of the structure, purpose of each paragraph, and main point. After I read the first and last of each paragraph I go back and read the whole thing. In total this whole process usually takes 3.5 min.
    2) SLOW DOWN. Seriously. I try to zoom through passages because I'm worried about time, but then I just end up having to re-read difficult portions of the passage and that takes WAY more time. I also have a much more superficial understanding of the passage and end up having to thoroughly read things through again after reading the questions.

• WoodsCommaElleWoodsCommaElle Live Member
    398 karma

Structure, structure, structure!!!
    When the paragraph keeps shifting (have we considered this? but what about that? but what about those?) - count the shifts instead of trying to absorb the content of the shifts. Structure will save you!!! Structure will help you digest the passage!

• nathangftnathangft Member
    4 karma

I found that high lighting in different colors helps details stand out ALOT. Like once an opinion/fact/example ends switch colors. Mentally it helps things stick out, and if you go back where ideas begin and end are easier to identify

• sarahblairsarahblair Core Member
    604 karma

Do you notice that you're spending a significant amount of time when looking at the questions going back into the passage to find the answer? That used to be a time sink for me and now that I'm spending more time upfront on the passage I can tread much quicker through the questions. I personally don't make much use of all the highlighting because I find it just takes time switching colors and messing around with the mouse. I also use command f on nearly every single passage. Helps me locate things quicker and if I highlight originally, the command f highlights will sometimes blend in.
    Obviously depends on personal preference and what you're used to.

• koza18koza18 Member
    116 karma

Read outside of the LSAT. Anything and everything, just read it. While doing your leisure reading, actively read. Really engage with the text and be inquisitive. For example, I’m reading American Pastoral right now; not really a text that lends itself to LSAT reading, but I’m still always asking, why is the author using this language? Why does Merry do this?... Training yourself to read like this will help when actually doing the LSAT.

Also, make it a habit at the end of each paragraph to think to yourself “what was the point of this and how does it tie into what I read in the previous paragraph?” At the end of each passage, make sure you know the main point, structure and purpose of the text.

Also, one of the sages (Christopher, I think) told me to try reading slowly, recapping, and then turning to the questions without going back to the passage- this REALLY helped. Especially if you have good short term memory, this could really be useful to you. Using this, I was finally getting done with my reading on time, and even with 2-3 minutes remaining.

This could also depend on how you’re approaching the questions. RC is like LR in long form. You have to think of all of the questions like inference questions, unless they’re explicitly weaken or strengthen.

Good luck!