Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wrong Answer Journal Help

kvitka22kvitka22 Member
in General 257 karma

I created a wrong answer journal and I don't think I'm getting as much out of it as I should be and could use some guidance. I put down what the question type is, why I got the question wrong, and what I'll do differently next time but my answers are pretty basic: "didn't read carefully", "second guessed myself", "made excuses for the answer choice I picked". If someone could explain on how to go more in depth that would be great, thank you!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2021 8313 karma

Keep asking "why?" until you have something specific enough that you can design a strategy to remediate, with precise benchmarks. The more specific you get, the more likely your efforts will be productive. Just saying "didn't read carefully" as your issue, and "read better" as your solution isn't much better than saying "score low, make it higher."

You also want to make sure you are calling out everything about the content that is noteworthy. What were they trying to get you to do/think? Did you see it? If not, why? What would wrong answers have to say in order to be right? Can you convert the question into other question types? Do you see where time sinks are? What about traps in answer choice placement/phrasing? Can you find phasing that is meant to conceal or draw your attention away from more important elements? Do you see where they are drawing you to employ an availability heuristic to draw you away from right answers or toward wrong ones? Lots more... you should be able to easily bang out a page per question IMO.