Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

15 minute snack

blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
in General 3545 karma
Has anybody tried and found success with energy gels? (http://running.competitor.com/2014/07/nutrition/everything-you-need-to-know-about-energy-gels_44642)

I'm trying to find a 15 minute snack that will provide me the most amount of energy boost with the least amount of liquid.

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2015 7965 karma
    Haha ... Well, this is basically pure sugar so you risk a crash.

Try various Paleo snacks ... Paleo kits, or bars made of seeds with honey, perhaps date rolls (though experiment with these to see how they affect your blood sugar), OR try Perfect Bars. Those are delish, right balance of carbs etc. Can get them at Costco; or they are in the refrigerated area of places like whole foods. http://perfectbar.com/ Almond Butter bar is my fave! Ate these while driving through the desert from San Diego to Dallas last summer. Such nom, very power.

PaleoKits — http://www.stevespaleogoods.com/paleo-kit-s/1516.htm , also Whole Foods etc.

And uh, bring a spoon if you do PaleoKits—can be a little saucy :D or just wash your hands.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    in Feb I had a Quest bar (Peanut butter :D ) and a banana, had plenty of energy and was more than filled enough (probably could of had a smaller banana or just not eaten the whole thing)
    Great taste, decent protein to fuel ya and bananas are a great source of energy... will more than likely repeat this snack
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Want to team up and start a paleo/vegan company? 'LSnack' focused on holistic snacks for the LSAT break time- "Break it and make it" (Company motto). First creation: The One Datey One- energy bar of date and coconut flakes. It could be a winner!
  • Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    The key is something that will spike glucose, but not severely. The brain functions best with a supply of glucose, but not an overdose. Some huge chocolate caramel thing with all types of sugar is probably a bad idea.. but something with a good complex carb makeup, like a bagel or a powerbar and perhaps even a banana is perfect.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Chocolate Peanut Butter KIND bars all the way!
  • runLSATrepeatrunLSATrepeat Free Trial Member
    20 karma
    I wouldn't take energy gels for the LSAT. They are mostly simple sugars, which is great for things like running but not for when you're sitting down taking a test. They will probably wake you up for a little bit once the glucose hits your brain, but then you might crash. A better bet is something with protein and complex carbs like the examples listed by others.
    @VegMeg55 said:
    Want to team up and start a paleo/vegan company?
    LOL LOL ... I worry I would be a very poor choice to plan anything remotely vegan-esque (my diet consists almost exclusively of animals and their byproducts with an occasional date, nut, sweet potato, or dark leafy green). I would be like, "So where do we put the bacon?" and "Hey you know what would make this more awesome? Butter/lard/sausage." And then you would be like "So, what part of 'nothing derived from an animal' does this whackobird not understand ..."
    7965 karma
    @runLSATrepeat said:
    They are mostly simple sugars, which is great for things like running but not for when you're sitting down taking a test. They will probably wake you up for a little bit once the glucose hits your brain, but then you might crash.
    Facts here.

Fat and protein with complex carbs are what will feed the brain. Grains and sugars ... well ... I sure hope you don't go down that road come test day.
    @VegMeg55 said:
    The One Datey One- energy bar of date and coconut flakes. It could be a winner!
    THIS THO. Is brilliant. Yes I consume some date rolls from my local hippie mart. Ingredients are ... wait for it ... dates and coconut!!

But still, put some pork jowl bacon on that and win-win-win. JK :) I'd better go eat lunch before I attempt to eat the forums.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Some grains are complex.
    @ddakjiking Yes ... but all grains are off some of our diets :D So I have a vendetta that most do not share.

My head just got sucked into validity/intersection argument mode ... must escape while I still can ...
  • runLSATrepeatrunLSATrepeat Free Trial Member
    20 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Facts here.

Fat and protein with complex carbs are what will feed the brain. Grains and sugars ... well ... I sure hope you don't go down that road come test day.
    I'm confused, are you saying I'm not stating facts or that I am? I am fairly certain that the brain runs on glucose. If you eat complex carbs they act as a time release and provide a more steady flow of glucose. If you have simple sugars (like the energy gels) then they enter the blood stream rapidly. If you have too many simple sugars at once then your body produces a bunch of insulin and you feel the sugar crash because glucose in the blood (that your brain uses) is taken out of the blood and stored. The brain can't store glucose so it has less energy to run on.

Fats and proteins definitely play a part in keeping your brain healthy, but they don't do much in terms of energy for thinking.
    7965 karma
    @runLSATrepeat said:
    I'm not stating facts or that I am?
    I'm sayin' "these here are facts" as in "truth" as in "word" as in "all the yes."
    7965 karma
    @runLSATrepeat said:
    Fats and proteins definitely play a part in keeping your brain healthy, but they don't do much in terms of energy for thinking.
    They help in regulating blood sugar = more consistent brain function :) Glucose rollercoaster ... ain't got no time!