Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC Approach

Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
I noticed on PT 74 and in previous PTs that passages can vary in terms of difficulty and at least # of questions.

I was pretty married to the idea of just going in order - even if easier ones are earlier (emphasis on if), I wanted to get easy points out of the way.

But now I'm reconsidering changing the order of passages. If not based on predicted difficulty, then based on doing the ones with Most Questions first. Thoughts?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I often find myself considering density of the questions and ACs when debating this topic in my head. Even within the ACs for a particular passage I will often answer the least dense questions with the least dense answers first, especially if I get stuck on the first question or didn't have a great feel for the passage and need the questions to help me work it out.

I also think passage topics have a role to play, so if you're weak in one topic area, skip to the next one and come back later. Sheer number of questions could be workable, but if those are just walls of text then it's probably going to end up being a time sink, especially if a lot of them are the "what would the author agree with" type of questions.
  • Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    I never have an issue with the density of the passage. As a Philosophy M.A I'm used to reading dense confusing crap for hours on end. I also usually nail the earlier PTs RC sections.. but they've really been making it harder, and I think most of the difficulty is in the questions. They ask for deeper inferences, more abstract thinking, and to boot, they veil it behind this wall of confusing language.

I usually make it to the last passage and have a few minutes left over, but my problem is accuracy. They can change one word in that damn answer choice and it can be wrong. And then an answer that you eliminated because of certain language turns out to be right due to another tiny modifier embedded somewhere in there.

I'm considering doing a quick scan of the passages and tackling the ones with the most questions first, just in case