Two very short questions about LSAT addendum / About Law schools App *Below both median)

WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
edited October 2021 in Law School Admissions 476 karma

Hi all!

For LSAT addendum,
I want to say at the end (in 3-4 sentences) that I will grow and discuss how I'd prepare in the 6-10 months leading up to the first day of law school. Is this unnecessary, bad idea? Do you think it'll hurt? The addendum is about 2/3 of a page without this language.

I have many schools on my list for which I'll be below median for both GPA and Addendum.
GPA by .1 to .3 points. LSAT by 8 to 12 points.
Would it seem too desperate to apply very very early? I have a friend who went to HLS who recommends that I apply asap.
He believes that I have a decent shot due to my unique story.

I can take LSAT once or twice more time but I dont think the score will improve by much. I'm about in the middle of my PT averages. If anything I'm going to try to take the LSAT really late in the cycle if I'm on the waitlist. Otherwise I'll reapply next cycle with, hopefully, a better LSAT.

I appreciate all your thoughts and input.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond.

Comments

• alexa723alexa723 Member
    100 karma

I can't help much with the first question. I want to say that it probably is unnecessary to add. One admissions officer actually said she recommends not doing anything to prepare. Obviously a job/internship/volunteering is good, but she said students ask what books to read to prepare and she says none because it's important to give your brain a break before starting.

To answer your second question, I definitely don't think that it seems desperate to apply very early. It's better to apply as early as you can, unless you think you can improve your LSAT, then it's usually wiser to take the time to do that. However, if you don't think you can improve, apply as early as you're ready.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Definitely not. And I would try to edit what you have down, if you can. Addenda should rarely be more than a paragraph. Be concise and be sure you include just the facts. An LSAT addendum should only be included if you have a really good reason for a given test having an anomalous outcome. It should fill in missing information and show that you acknowledge any shortcomings and can demonstrate your ability to learn from that. Just be careful you are not making excuses or trying to explain away a low score. Many AdComms will tell you not to include anything along the lines of "I don't do well with standardized tests". Remember, the Bar Exam is a standardized test, and they want students who will pass the Bar. I'd be happy to read it over if you like.

Apply as early as you can with the best possible application. Having unique softs that put you in a good position for acceptance will likely only help you early on. The later you wait to apply, the more candidates you will be competing with for available spots.

Best of luck!