Knowing when to draw sub-gameboards or not to draw sub-gameboards

Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
in Logic Games 677 karma

Hi everyone,
I am currently on the game section of the CC. I noticed that JY draws sub-gameboards for some games while just write down the rules for some games without making sub-gameboards. He tackles the questions just with rules when making the latter decision. He did state to make as much inference as possible by drawing different sub-gameboards before tackling the questions, but for some game rules, we have about 6-7 different sub-gameboards to draw, which makes me run out of given time. I am just wondering how are we supposed to know whether to draw all the sub-gameboards or just write down the rules and use the rules to answer the questions.

Let me give you a clearer example.

On the CC Sequencing Game Problem Set 2, JY only wrote down the rules for the game on PT 30 S1 Q18-Q23 without writing the sub-gameboards. His reason was that “there are only three rules.” However, if we look at CC Sequencing Game Problem Set 3 PT 29 S3 Q14-Q19, JY draws two sub-gameboards and use them to answer the questions.

I noticed that if we are to solve the game questions in a given time that JY tells us to do, which is under 5-7 minutes per game, we literally have to know how to tackle the game the moment we read the rules written in English.
Could you please share your thought on this?

As always, I really appreciate you for reading my question and taking time out of your day to answer my question.

Comments

• edited August 2021 540 karma

Good question! In general, as I finish making the master game board and writing down the important rules, I "play" with the master game board to make inferences. During this process, my default mode is to try and spit out sub game boards. But if I begin noticing that there is a lot of degree of freedom within the sub game boards, i.e. they don't condense down to concrete and independent sub game boards that are of manageable quantity, I would be much more inclined to allow the questions to drive the game instead.

In other words, I tell myself:
    1) In general, try to break things down into sub game boards
    2) But if the sub game boards do not neatly spit out nearly complete boards OR the number of questions is very small OR I end up with more sub game boards than the number of questions OR most of the questions are local not global, then I will be inclined to letting the questions guide me

There is an element of "what works best for you" here. I have certainly found that I lean toward sub game boards. On the other hand, I studied with people who are oppositely inclined. You'll have to practice and see what does/does not work for your studies.

• Webby_SongdoWebby_Songdo Alum Member
    677 karma

@"Forever Addicted to Coffee" said:
    Good question! In general, as I finish making the master game board and writing down the important rules, I "play" with the master game board to make inferences. During this process, my default mode is to try and spit out sub game boards. But if I begin noticing that there is a lot of degree of freedom within the sub game boards, i.e. they don't condense down to concrete and independent sub game boards that are of manageable quantity, I would be much more inclined to allow the questions to drive the game instead.

In other words, I tell myself:
    1) In general, try to break things down into sub game boards
    2) But if the sub game boards do not neatly spit out nearly complete boards OR the number of questions is very small OR I end up with more sub game boards than the number of questions OR most of the questions are local not global, then I will be inclined to letting the questions guide me

There is an element of "what works best for you" here. I have certainly found that I lean toward sub game boards. On the other hand, I studied with people who are oppositely inclined. You'll have to practice and see what does/does not work for your studies.

Sounds good. I guess it really comes down to practice and knowing it by intuition whether it would be more efficient to write down the sub-gameboards or just go straight to questions and let the questions guide me. Thank you for your thought on this sir