Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a better understanding of the LSAT test.

LumpkinmdLumpkinmd Free Trial Member
in General 40 karma
Hello, I am a junior in college and I want to know more information about taking the LSAT test. I want to know what are the best study tools and also if some could explain to me in good detail about the lsat? And how many questions and how much time do you have? Please help me.

Comments

• Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    You're in an ideal position to start studying. Many of us wait until the tail end of undergrad or later and then rush to take the test for application in a particular cycle. Given that you're at least a few semesters away anyway, you have plenty of time to start getting familiar with the test in time to get a great score when you go to take it.
  • LumpkinmdLumpkinmd Free Trial Member
    40 karma
    Thank you so much. I will be going to my Junior year this semester. I want to get ahead start. Question where we do I take the test, how much time I have, and could you give me more detail about the test? What are the best books to purchase and etc?
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    I would purchase the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim. Also, the Starter Bundle here on 7Sage. Pick one go through it then do the other.

You can choose where you take it by registering at a testing center on LSAC.org

The test has 4 graded sections, 1 Logic Games, 2 Logic Reasoning and 1 Reading Comprehension. Then there's an experimental section and an essay section.

Start with those resources and you'll get familiar with the test rather quickly.
    40 karma
    Thank you so much for all your help it means a lot. I was getting so confused! Have you taken the test is it Harder than the SAT/ ACT?

Are the books expensive? Should I take a prep class? I heard it is expensive?
  • NoticevishNoticevish Member
    36 karma
    Yes, it is much harder than the act/sat. It is after all, a graduate program and it is assumed you have a 4 year degree since that is a perquisite for law school.
    40 karma
    When is the best time to take the test? And where can i find those books? My apologies I'm new to this website.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited June 2015 1654 karma
    @Lumpkinmd
    I would recommend 7sage and The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim for starters. After you learn the fundamentals, Cambridge Drilling Packets will come in handy.
    40 karma
    Thank you so much! Whays the point of taking the essay? Should I take it my senior year in college or what til I graduate?
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    It's simply a writing sample. While it is not graded, law schools have the ability to see whether you wrote something meaningful or left the page blank. You should take it when you are ready. There is not a set amount of time. It varies from person to person. Some people only set aside 3 months, while others study for an entire year. When October comes around (which is when I'm taking the exam), I will have completed around 10 months of preparation. Hope this helps.
    40 karma
    Thank you so much. How did you study? What books you used and where can i find the books for a good price? And by the way good luck you will do a good job everything will work out!
  • 7Sage is a great way to study, buy one of the programs and go through it. Buy your books on Amazon, many of them you could buy used with no visible signs of usage and at a good price, To learn more about the LSAT itself, you could Google LSAT and find tons of info on it. I'd probably start there, it doesn't sound like you've done much research into what you're getting into. I say that because you asked if it's harder than the ACT or SAT. It's for LAW SCHOOL , of course it's going to be harder. Good luck to you.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited June 2015 12637 karma
    @Lumpkinmd said:
    What books you used and where can i find the books for a good price?
    Hey @Lumpkinmd, like a few 7Sagers mentioned, @Mike Kim's "The LSAT Trainer" pairs really well with a 7Sage course. You can read more about his book here:
    http://thelsattrainer.com

Here's an Amazon link to buy the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0989081508/thlstr-20

I can tell you're fairly new, so take a look at this lesson:
    http://7sage.com/lesson/the-three-worst-lsat-mistakes

It talks a lot about timing and other common mistakes students tend to make in their study methodology.

If you're ready to pick up a full course, you can buy one (or read about them) here:
    http://7sage.com/enroll/

Since we only include the PT explanations and not the actual PDFs of the PrepTests, here's a list of affordable PTs you can pick up:
    http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2770/list-of-affordable-pts-paperback-hard-copy

Hope that helps!
    40 karma
    You are amazing thank you so much for taking the time to help me out and give me helpful information! Thank you thank you! Have a wonderful day!!!!
  • DrackedaryDrackedary Member
    239 karma
    Everyone else has covered all the good stuff, so I'll just leave you with this: whatever study tool you plan on using, start early. Don't wait for three months before the LSAT. Many of us need to study at least a year before taking the test.
    40 karma
    Thank you so much @Drackedary. This means the world to me that you guys are helping me out and giving me good tools and advice. I will definitely start studying in the summer! Thank you thank you!!!!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Drackedary said:
    start early
    Yes. In fact, @Lumpkinmd , if I were you, I'd start studying with the LSAT Trainer now and plan to take it/do your most intensive prep after you graduate. Of course, you could get 7sage now (and that would put you in an excellent position in many, many ways) but you would need to factor in the amount that extending your subscription would cost (whereas the Trainer is a book you buy once and can use forever).

Trying to study for this test while doing your undergraduate studies, unless you are an analytic philosophy major (in which case there could be some overlap with formal logic and possibly analysis of arguments), is not exactly going to help you on either front. Get at least one year of real-world experience before law school—IMO, too many people go straight from undergrad into law school and as a result lack basic office, people, and job-seeking skills (and the world doesn't need *too many* 25 year old attorneys, again, very much IMO).

Kudos for thinking about this now, but please know ... there is NO RUSH to go to law school right out of undergrad. A lot of folks on this forum will be 5+ years out of school by the time we are 1L and I, for one, have zero regrets about entering law school with ample professional experience.
    40 karma
    @nicole.hopkins, Thank you so much for the helpful advice. I always wanted to go to law school and a lot of graduates told me I should go to law school after school. The reason they said it because they said it is very competitive and it looks better for a person to go after school because it looks better than waiting? So, I was doing research and trying to figure out what this test is all about. That's why I asked the question. I really appreciate your advice it means more than you know.

Basically I can get the same training as I would if I went to the classes if I just purchase the book right? And whar are book are you talking about? The one that was said earlier?

What does IMO mean? My apologies. And are you also saying it's better that I'm order?!
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Lumpkinmd said:
    The reason they said it because they said it is very competitive and it looks better for a person to go after school because it looks better than waiting?
    Well, this is false. Or at least, it's an overstatement. Plenty of law schools prefer their applicants to have at least some work experience, though they recognize that not everyone has the patience or opportunity to bridge the gap years (or parents unduly pressure applicants to go straight to school). I think a lot of attorneys, in stark contrast, would recommend getting some non-legal (or real world) experience.

I'd say book first since there's no renewal involved, and then 7sage for a year (or more) leading up to actually taking the test. 7sage's material teaches the fundamentals so deeply that it's best to give yourself a lot of time to master those. That'll put you in the best position.

IMO means "in my opinion" :)
    40 karma
    I just bought the Mike Kim trainer book which is good right?

Also, I have another question. I will be a Junior this year and I am involved in many activities and hold many positions. Will that be beneficial to me when going to Law school? I just want to know if I am on the right track to success. I have a high GPA and made many connections. I am just wondering what else can I do to stand out from the crowd or what would make me look like an all round student? I know it is good to do internships but what else do I need to do?

Thank you so much for the help it means more than you know. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out! I was so lost and I am happy to finally find answers. @nicole.hopkins