Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Writing sample mistake

megansadler12megansadler12 Member
in General 38 karma

Hey guys, I took the LSAT for the first time this August.

On test day, I also submitted my writing portion. Right before the time was up as I was proofing what I wrote, I noticed a word had incorrectly auto-corrected to "succumbed" instead of "survived," but the time ended before I could fix it!

I'm so upset because rather than your standard typo it appears that I do not understand the meaning of the word "succumbed!!" Do you all think I should submit another writing sample? Will admissions teams still see the old version anyway? Maybe I should do another and correctly work in the word succumbed just to show that I do know what it means, ugh.

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

I wouldn't worry too much about the writing sample. Do they read it? Probably. Is it a major consideration for your admission? No. Yes the schools can see everything you have ever done with LSAC, so I don't think that it would be worth the hassle. Try not to over think it. The writing sample just lets schools check that the applicant is not completely inept at writing when not given ample time to edit (like you can with a PS). A little mistake like one word in the sea of 10,000 applications is highly unlikely to make an adverse impression.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

If you plan on retaking the LSAT anyways then I don't see any harm in doing another writing sample. However, I don't think it is possible to retake the writing sample by itself but I could be mistaken. - and if you do retake it, it will be a completely different topic.

Maybe if the typo is really bothering you, you can submit a brief addendum about it?

• 13002534241300253424 Member
    52 karma

If you are so worried about it, you can retake it. I remembered LSAC could provide another chance, and the law school won't see your old version. If you are still confused about it, check their website or write an email. Hope this could help.

• MoneybyMondayMoneybyMonday Member
    24 karma

I just listened to one of the 7 Sage Podcast episodes with an admissions officer from Columbia, and she flat out said that they skim the writing sample just to confirm you took it seriously, rather than doodled or bs'd your way through it. My advice would be to let it go and put your effort into a stellar personal statement, clean resume, and unique diversity statement (all of which will be given more weight and time than the writing sample - per the podcast).