148--> 165 finally done after 2.5 years (long winded story)

dianao6512dianao6512 Member
edited September 2021 in General 169 karma

Quick rundown:
URM
3.92 UGPA
150 diagnostic
June 2019- 150 (canceled)
October 2020- 148 :(
July 2021- 157
August 2021- 165 :)

The LSAT and I have a very tough relationship. I started studying during my Junior year in 2019. I read through the Powerscore books and was confident I would be able to teach myself. I got 7sage and studied here and there, not super seriously since I had classes. I took the June 2019 LSAT (the first digital one that allowed you to cancel your score) and I got a 150. I only really took it so I could see how I would do with test day conditions, so I canceled. I continued to study haphazardly (I hated studying for the LSAT since there is no direct return to your studying efforts), hoping for my scores to magically hit 170. I quickly realized that just because I read the Powerscore books and went through the 7sage curriculum, that doesnt mean I studied in a way that would help my score. That is how I studied in school and was able to get a 3.92, but it did not work that way with the LSAT. I had to make the hard decision to take a year off after school to continue studying because I was not seeing the improvement I was hoping for.

Fast forward to 2020, I graduated, and now had more time to study. I drilled, took PT's here and there and got the Loophole book in hopes it would all click. I even finally accepted the fact that I may need a tutor, so I got one and studied with him for a few weeks. I did not want to take another year off, so I decided to take the October test. Sadly, I was not ready and VERY burnt out and got an extremely disappointing 148. I was crushed because it was even lower than the score I got a year prior that I canceled. I felt like an absolute failure and did not want to even think about the LSAT. Pressure from family made it very hard to think that I may need to take an extra year off. (Side note, family can be extremely toxic when it comes to the LSAT and law school application journey, I definitely almost cost myself a great cycle by being tempted to apply to appease my father, even though I knew my score was not where it needed to be. So for those out there struggling with familial pressures, you know what is best for you, trust your instincts.)

After taking a month or so off, and coming to terms with my additional year off, I got back to studying. I found another tutor @Constantine whose teaching style fit my learning style perfectly and with his help I found myself PT'ing in the 160's for the first time ever. It seemed to have clicked! I even PT'd at 168 before I took the July 2020 test. I was shocked by my 157 on that test because I truly thought it was relatively easy (but im convinced the curve was very tight with that one).

I continued to study and was luckily able to get some accommodations for the August 2021 test due to a condition I have that I finally got treatment for. After more studying and getting the time I needed on the August test, I found out yesterday about my 165! I was terrified to look at my score and was pleasantly surprised! Now I can finally kick the LSAT out of the corner of my mind that it has been occupying for years.

Now, with my long LSAT journey finished, here are my take aways:

1. Nobody knows the perfect way to study for the LSAT. Some can self study, some need structured classes, some need
    a tutor. With that being said, its okay if you spend months studying one way and finding out it doesn't work. Use that information to try a new way. Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and failure. Keep trying new ways and consider a tutor!

2. If you are not PT'ing where you want your score to be around test time, consider taking a later test. I think a lot of us
    believe we will be lucky and miraculously score 170 even though our most recent PT's were nowhere near that. I wish I did not take the October test. I was not ready and I knew it.

3. The trick to LG is doing them often. After a time, like everyone says, it just clicks. The road to it "clicking" does take some time. Do one LG per day, if you can. Even a 1 star question helps you get the pattern down.

4. RC and LR are both tricky. LR was easier for me to get better at than RC. Once I started studying with Constantine, he
    was able to help me get my LR from around -9/-10 to -3/-4. With RC, I had issues focusing. You really have to get yourself engaged with the story and not focus too much on the details.

5. The LSAT will force you to be very honest with yourself. My goal in the beginning was 170+. While I know I could have gotten there with more studying, I had to realize that the studying and mental anguish it would have taken me to get there was not worth it for me personally. Luckily, law schools look at applications holistically! You may also have to make tough life decisions in your LSAT journey, but in the end, as long as you know you did your best, whatever the outcome is was meant to be.

All in all, I wish everyone that is on their journey the best of luck. Do NOT lose yourself in the process. Your LSAT score does not define you or your overall intelligence. Although I will not miss coming to 7sage to study, I will miss the great community and the support.!

Be safe out there everyone! <3

Comments