Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement?

aeh_aliaeh_ali Core Member

I'm having a bit of trouble with my personal statements. Any feedback would be appreciated and I'm sure that others are probably in the same boat. I basically have 3 different avenues I could go

1) childhood trouble as a child of divorce - looking at my mom's attorney and knowing i want to be a lawyer for capacity to help people
a) potentials issues - I was going to relate it to how i projected on a fictional character but in reality the hero of the story is the lawyer..... is it too juvenile?

2) working at a law office and how everyone says they 'cant do' that type of work - but i think the toughest things are motivated by love of those that want to see them out of prison
a) potential issues - only been working there a few months and theyll see that on my resume
b) confidentiality issues - obviously I wont be giving away any personal information but i dont want it to seem like I see clients as inspirational stories rather then actual people, you know?

3) I was in a bad car accident and have been very angry at the person who broke the law and hit me. this conflicts with what i am interested in as an attorney but working in a law office has given the opportunity for me to see the forgiveness in it?

Let me know if you have any ideas and also if you have them id be happy to give my two sense. thanks so much :)

Comments

• delfinmortondelfinmorton Core Member
    21 karma

Go with the one you're most passionate about. Be honest with yourself on what makes you want to dedicate the rest of your life to practicing and upholding the law. Then put it onto paper.

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

The way I see it, the ultimate goal of a personal statement is for the reader to walk away feeling like they know the person who wrote it, as much as one can. Make sure that the focus of the essay is on YOU, and not other people, or a mentor, or someone you looked up to. You want to convince the admissions committee that you are someone worth admitting.

I think your idea of growing up in a divorced household - while somewhat common these days, could lend itself better to a diversity statement, I could be wrong though.