Delete

lovejeb0729lovejeb0729 Alum Member
edited July 2022 in Logical Reasoning 123 karma

Delete

Comments

• ygprbtpm-1ygprbtpm-1 Core Member
    32 karma

Hey! I can try to explain it to you if it helps! Cannot promise that I am going to be perfect but I was able to make sense of it and understand them!

• ygprbtpm-1ygprbtpm-1 Core Member
    32 karma

nvm read it as 91+ :(

• edited October 2021 279 karma

5: E is the only answer choice that accounts for a benefit to the zebras from having the stripes. The stimulus clearly states that the stripes allow the lions to see zebras clearly. With E we directly address that by affirming that all the lions see is a blur of white and black stripes. No other ACs address the paradox at all.

15: We want to strengthen the conclusion that siblings of 1st born are more adventurous than the 1st born themselves. Our evidence is that:
    a: the siblings have higher cognitive plasticity i.e. more flexible thinking
    b: being open to new ideas is correlated with being adventurous in other ways
    So: cognitive plasticity correlates w/ openness to new ideas correlates w/ being more adventurous.
    C: adds support directly by establishing formally the correlation b/n plasticity and risk-taking. We just need to make a reasonable assumption that adventure entails risk-taking.

17: remember the NA negated destroys the arg.
    E: if Mars IS a practical source for materials transportation cost is moot period.
    B: is tempting because if cost IS expected to decrease, then .... nothing. Will it decrease? Will the decrease be significant enough to make the economics work? I mean, if costs 100M to launch a satellite and we can save 100k by using a a less expensive material in some system, it still costs a leg and an arm.

20: the paradox is why the ppl that repress emotion do better in social and academic settings and feel better about themselves, as compared to the ppl that are more in-touch with their emotions. All the answer choices provide a possible reason, except for D. Some psychologists have a hypothesis i.e. there is one person somewhere that claims something - that doesn't help much. Also, even if we accept that the desire to excel socially and academically helps "repressors" excel at repressing emotions, it still does nothing to explain why they excel in the academic/social contexts more than the "sensitizers."
    Here C is tempting, because at first glance it seems to do nothing, but it actually links to the self-esteem aspect.

• lovejeb0729lovejeb0729 Alum Member
    123 karma

Thanks for the response @LawyeringForLife. I have a few questions.
    For question 5, I didn't select AC E because I thought it wouldn't matter whether it was difficult to single out an individual zebra while running in groups. Can't the lions just see them run in groups and therefore hunt them down? I was down to E and B and because of the above reasoning, I chose B, since that AC seemed to me the only AC that talked about survival even if it didn't talk about stripes.

For question 15, I was down to C and D, and I thought both needed assumptions. For C, I needed to make the assumption that the correlation was positive. If it were to be negative, I thought it would not help the conclusion. D needed the assumption that business executives are adventurous, therefore younger sibling correlates with adventurous. But I guess C is stronger than D because of the "some" in AC D?

For question 17, I didn't select E because I think the word "assemble" tripped me. I thought assemble in terms of actually building stuff, not collecting stuff. If the latter is the case, then I guess E is correct.

For question 20, why is B incorrect?

Sorry for the long questions. And thank you once again.

• edited October 2021 279 karma

My pleasure.
    5. I think the underlying concept is that the zebras don't have standard-issue savanna camouflage. The implication is that in packs they camo i.e. blend together and that confuses the lions. We have to assume here the camo works.
    For B: the paradox is that zebras lack camo but survive. Knowing that they ignore lions that are NOT hunting does little to explain that, because it doesn't address the lack of camo. It would be an alternative survival mechanism, but not that one related to what we are looking for.

15 C has the clear correlation chain. D is definitely much weaker, but also doesn't mention risks. It actually forces us to take the biz executive concept and our real-world knowledge/perceptions of what type of person occupies that position and assume away: adventurous, risk-taking etc.

17: I think either way you think of "assemble" you are fine.

20: I think I had the hardest time eliminating that during the timed run, but conceptually that answer supports the notion that repressors excel in social situations. Imagine that one friend that blurts out stuff when they get frustrated and everyone around them rolls their eyes. So the one that controls emotions better and doesn't blurt stuff out doesn't get sidelined as often as the sensitizer.