Cancer Addendum/Number of Takes/Work Gap?

Wyatt 170Wyatt 170 Monthly Member

Hello All,

I hope you're well and on the precipice of getting into the school of your dreams this cycle. As for me, I had a question I wanted to ask regarding my own process as it pertains to my own cancer treatment and how it has effected my application going into this cycle.

Specifically, I’m concerned about the number of LSAT takes on my record which was majorly influenced by my treatment. Depending on how I do on the October exam, November would be my 5th, and while I am finally scoring well (in the high 160s/Low 170s) I have 3, effectively no good scores which are not representative of my true ability that were taken in 2020, and were majorly effected by the insomnia and anxiety that accompanied my cancer diagnosis/treatment. I should have Waited to take those exams until I was ready, but in the moment everything just moved very fast. Is this something that schools will look down on majorly? Is an addendum sufficient to explain both the major jump in score (10 or so points) and the number of takes?

Additionally, I have a similar concern regarding my work history which has a gap at the beginning of 2021 when my treatment began, and has kept me sidelined for the majority of the year until now. Again, is this something that will be exceedingly frowned upon? How much does an addendum explain this?

Thank you all so much again for your feedback, the 7sage community has been so amazing. JY and the team have helped me go from an average 155 or so PT to high 160s/170s.

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Alum Member
    1399 karma

I would say a big fat yes on addenda for both. Cancer treatment is a darn good reason to see a gap in work as well as tank your LSAT score.

I think being honest about the effect that your illness has had will mitigate most red flags on your app, especially if you have managed to persevere in spite of it.

You could address this in your PS as well, but even so, a mention of how this effected your lsat and/or work history seems wholly appropriate.

• Wyatt 170Wyatt 170 Monthly Member
    14 karma

@sarakimmel said:
    I would say a big fat yes on addenda for both. Cancer treatment is a darn good reason to see a gap in work as well as tank your LSAT score.

I think being honest about the effect that your illness has had will mitigate most red flags on your app, especially if you have managed to persevere in spite of it.

You could address this in your PS as well, but even so, a mention of how this effected your lsat and/or work history seems wholly appropriate.

Thanks so much for your response Sara, I really appreciate it. My PS definitely touches on the effect diagnosis and treatment had on me as it's been the focal point of my life for a year now. That puts me at ease, thanks so much again.