Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frustration regarding Flex score conversion

kryskryskryskrys Core Member
in General 29 karma

I have taken the LSAT twice, both times my score was almost 10 points under my practice tests. Very frustrating, very confusing. Practice tests average around 165, but actual test scores are 156 and 157. The articles I read said that students score comparably on the 3 and 4 section test formats. Maybe I was having test anxiety, maybe bad luck? 7sage recently introduced the flex score converter, and now I see that for me, there is a significant difference in my score based on the flex vs pre-covid test format. I'm feeling really frustrated. If the flex score converter had been available sooner, I would've studied differently the past 4 months. I'm trying to decide if I should cancel my 7sage subscription and just take my 157, or if I should focus on reading comprehension and logic games until January. Does anyone know if 7sage will apply monthly subscription fees towards the yearly subscription price? This is getting expensive, and I'm thinking it may be time to just cancel and accept the current score.

Comments

• giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
    466 karma

One clarification: when you were taking PTs were they flex PTs/simulated flex? If that's the case, I might expect a score drop on the real (4-section LSAT) just due to that extra section! If you think about it, it's basically an extra 35 minutes worth of brain-drain when you have to get through it but can't pick up any points (because it's an experimental section) so I would expect your score to be a bit lower.

I was doing 3-part flex PTs for months until about a month before the October LSAT, then realized that to train myself for the 4-section one I need to switch back to four section tests. I thought of it as practice and didn't concentrate on the score I got so much; I just needed to train myself for that level of sustained thinking.

• kryskryskryskrys Core Member
    edited October 2021 29 karma

Thanks for your reply. For me, I don't think the problem is the energy that goes into the experimental section (though I can definitely see how it could have the effect!) I have taken the actual LSAT flex both with and without the experimental section without a significant difference. I was taking the 4 section practice tests (scores around 165) until recently, when I took the flex simulated practice test (score 157). That score is in line with my two actual LSAT scores. I have been scoring in the mid 160s on practice tests since February. However, my actual test scores have been 156 and 157. All practice tests have been timed, including usually timing the breaks to match LSAT format.

This last practice test, I clicked the box for the flex score simulator (3 section). That time I scored 157 on the practice test, which is inline with my actual test scores. LR is my best section, so I guess the difference is due to losing on LR section. I actually removed the higher LSAT score (157), which was my first attempt. It was significantly lower than my practice tests had been, so I assumed it was a fluke.

I'm just frustrated. It isn't 7Sage fault that the test format changed, but I wasn't aware the flex format score simulator option existed until recently. Just feels like my studying over the past year (and $500+) paying the monthly subscription fees have been less than fruitful for me. Feels like I haven't made an improvement, since my actual tests are lower than my practice tests from 8 months ago. The difference is probably just due to taking practice tests in the traditional LSAT format, not flex. I guess I didn't realize the change in format could create a significant difference.