Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for tips for digital reading

13002534241300253424 Member
in General 52 karma

Hi guys!
I am not a native English speaker. All those twenty years I read English on paper. I am practicing reading English on my computer for the digital LSAT. At first, I thought this won't be that hard, maybe I could find my way quickly. But it's so hard to change my reading habits and make my eyes get used to reading those tiny English letters on the screen. It's completely different if I print those PTs and finish them on paper. I will read more carefully and I can mark the keywords without being distracted. Do you have any tips for me? Thanks again!

Comments

• Scott MilamScott Milam Member Administrator Moderator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1312 karma

Reading on a screen is definitely harder for some people. However, there are a few tricks that can make it easier.

1) Practice! It is tempting to print the test out since that is more comfortable. Don’t! It is important that you get used to reading on a screen since that is how you will take the exam. You will improve with practice.
    2) Get the settings right Take some time adjusting the font size so that it makes it more comfortable to read. Both 7Sage and the official interface let you fine tune this, so take the time to figure out what setting will make you the most successful.
    3) Use your finger or cursor Many of my clients find that moving their finger or cursor under the words as they read helps them to stay focused and not lose their place. As an added benefit, once you are used to this, you can also use this technique to force yourself to read faster by moving your finger or cursor faster!
    4) Upgrade your setup If you are using a small laptop, it may be wise to invest in a separate monitor you can use for testing (note you will likely also need to buy a separate camera for use on test day since LSAC doesn’t like you having two monitors on the test).

Hope that helps! Reach out if you have any more questions!

• 13002534241300253424 Member
    52 karma

@"Scott Milam" said:
    Reading on a screen is definitely harder for some people. However, there are a few tricks that can make it easier.

1) Practice! It is tempting to print the test out since that is more comfortable. Don’t! It is important that you get used to reading on a screen since that is how you will take the exam. You will improve with practice.
    2) Get the settings right Take some time adjusting the font size so that it makes it more comfortable to read. Both 7Sage and the official interface let you fine tune this, so take the time to figure out what setting will make you the most successful.
    3) Use your finger or cursor Many of my clients find that moving their finger or cursor under the words as they read helps them to stay focused and not lose their place. As an added benefit, once you are used to this, you can also use this technique to force yourself to read faster by moving your finger or cursor faster!
    4) Upgrade your setup If you are using a small laptop, it may be wise to invest in a separate monitor you can use for testing (note you will likely also need to buy a separate camera for use on test day since LSAC doesn’t like you having two monitors on the test).

Hope that helps! Reach out if you have any more questions!

Thank you Scott! Your advice is very helpful! And it makes me realize that I am not the only person who found it's hard to read on screen. Maybe I just need to practice more.