PT15.1.1 - The city's center for disease control

edited April 2022 in Logical Reasoning 80 karma

The question is asking for us to resolve the paradox. Basically, the question is saying that there is an increase in % and a decrease in the total population, and is asking us how this is possible.

Pre-phrase - The denominator (i.e. the total population must have decreased) That way, you have a higher %.

B - This is what the answer is, but the part specifically "in the year before last" threw me completely off. I googled what this means, and it basically translates to "two years ago"

But, how does that resolve the paradox? If two years ago, there was a substantial decline in the population, that doesn't solve the issue. If it were last year, that would totally make sense, but the year before last = 2 years ago which is already provided in the stimulus.

Are they alluding to two different times two years ago? (i.e. Maybe the death happened in the later part of the year whilst the 32 case count was from the earlier part of the year?)

Sorry if I am slow (I know, it's question #1), but that clause was a red flag for me that deterred me in choosing it.

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-15-section-1-passage-1-questions/

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited April 2022 8460 karma

This is question 16.2.1, not 15.1.1.

You can have a higher percentage of infection with a lower overall number if your population size decreases.

The initial percentage is from 2 years ago. The decline in population happened "in the year before last," so between the time the initial percantage was measured and +12 months (up to the beginning of the current year/12 month span).