Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Submission of LSAT scores after application is submitted

kempf.mattkempf.matt Alum Member
edited October 2013 in December 2013 LSAT 9 karma
Hello all!! So, I've got a bit of a predicament. I've taken the OCT LSAT but did not get to spend as much time as I needed to prep and thus didn't receive the score that I would have liked to have. I got an OK score, 153, but I know that with proper prep time, I can score at least in the low 160's. I'd like to start submitting applications soon but I'm wondering if I should hold off on submitting. Is it possible to submit applications with my current score and then when the DEC LSAT scores come out, add that to my already submitted applications, or is it smarter to wait to apply until after I receive these scores? I realize that applying earlier gives me a much better chance of being accepted and waiting could hurt my chances, but on the other hand, a better score gives me a much stronger application. Any help would be great! Thanks guys!

Comments

• karen.terradokaren.terrado Free Trial Member
    2 karma
    I am in the same boat. I would love to hear what folks think about this. Thanks!
  • vashtibuckvashtibuck Alum Member
    8 karma
    I think it really depends on when schools begin looking at applications. I know for the schools that I'm applying to, they don't begin looking at applications until January. They will still review applications in the sequence of which they came in. If you look at the FAQs of the schools that you're applying to or contact the admissions office to inquire when they begin looking at files, then I'll think both of you all will be better able to develop a timely application strategy. :)
  • KatherineKatherine Alum Member
    136 karma
    I have generally heard that if you already have a score on file, you should wait for your 2nd (and hopefully better!) score to be released BEFORE submitting your applications. I have heard that sometimes they only consider the application "as is." However, I would encourage everyone to check with their particular schools.
  • Litian.ChenLitian.Chen Free Trial Member
    136 karma
    Guys,

I emailed a couple schools They responded:

1. submit when you are ready and your application is its strongest.
    2. An early submission doesn't necessarily give you an advantage.
    3. they will go ahead review your application based on your current score/if you let them know you are retaking, they will hold until the updated score comes out.
    4. decisions are hard to change for example you want to bargain for more $$ or turn a rejection to admission..
  • Paige HammerPaige Hammer Free Trial Member
    26 karma
    I've heard horror stories of applicants turning in their apps with one score on file and waiting for another score to come in and the school not waiting for the second score. If you want to be safe, wait for that second score to come in.
  • Litian.ChenLitian.Chen Free Trial Member
    136 karma
    Paige, what happened after in that story? Did the applicant re-apply after being rejected or was s/he able to pull out from waitlist pool by updating the score?
  • maxmaxbobaxmaxmaxbobax Alum Member
    98 karma
    I am thinking it is best to just wait till you have the second score. I am gonna do the same. Most of the schools I want to get into have a deadline of early March. I am hoping the Feb. Score comes in earlier than expected!!!