Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sequencing games with a twist.

goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
in General 531 karma
For the people who are taking the 7sage course, and who are on the sequencing games with a twist section, did you attempt to diagram the games before JY did? and if so did you have trouble? and if you had trouble and could not figure it out, did you just watch the video explanation, and then attempt to do it yourself? Because I am having difficulty with setting up games, and understanding some rules, and usually when I do not understand I just watch the video explanation, and then attempt it on my own. I just started doing the logic games section, so I am sure most people when they start out are lost on setups, but I am just curious. I want to add that once I set up the game, I have no problems with the questions, and do not really struggle with making most of the inferences.

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I definitely attempted to do all the games in the lessons on my own and timed myself with a stopwatch to give myself unlimited time but also see my progress timewise. Your best bet is to work your way through the curriculum as they lay it out, do the problem sets in any section you are struggling with, and then hit the LG bundle when you're done all the LG portions of the curriculum. The link below is a guide I made that shows how I modified 7Sage's methods to fit my needs and it has helped me get down to -0 to -1 on my most recent PTs.

http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy

For the vast majority of games, there are only so many variations they can make on the ordering/grouping spectrum, so the more you do, the more comfortable you will get with the whole process. If you're still having trouble after the 7Sage curriculum and a good 30 or 40 LGs, then I'd also recommend the Trainer for a slightly different perspective that might align better with any predispositions you may have.
  • LoraxManLoraxMan Alum Member
    180 karma
    I had a little trouble at first with the sequencing games with a twist. Generally I would try the game fresh before watching JY's explanation (untimed at the beginning), then watch JY's video and compare methods. I think it's worth "struggling" on your own with the games first - it gives you more insight when you compare to JY's recommended method and/or setup
  • goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
    531 karma
    I hate timing myself at this point of my logic game studies. I have not even developed concrete diagramming notations for myself yet, and so I take my time when I am diagramming rules to make sure that the way I am notating the rule is the best way for me, and this a lot of time. I am coming across some complex rules, and I have no idea how to notate them yet, as well as how I would go about setting up new games. At this point in my studies I am not even thinking about timing at all. The thing is, once I am able to diagram the rules properly, I can see the relationships without much of a struggle, as well as make inferences that help me in later questions, but like I said, I just started out so maybe I am saying all of this now because I have not come across difficult games. Was this similar for you when you started LG?
    8021 karma
    Usually I'd struggle on the first game in each lesson and then watching JY's explanation would kind of unlock it a bit for me. Of course they usually throw you a curve ball in the remainder of the games in each lesson, but by the time I finished the first problem set or two in each one I was feeling pretty confident, and then even more so after tackling a lot of the bundle. I timed myself with a stopwatch for every game, and in the beginning there would be games where it was taking like 22 minutes, which was nice to know because after fool proofing a couple times, I'd get down under 10, or even under 8 depending on the game.
    531 karma
    @LoraxMan I do that, but some games, I just have no clue how to set up. For example, PT 21 S1 G4, I am having difficulty understanding how to set this game up properly. Oh, and I have this thing where if I did not understand something, and still do not understand it, I will literally sit there for an hour, even five if need be, to understand why I did not understand.
    531 karma
    @Pacifico did you make your own diagramming symbols, or did you use JY's or some other method?
    8021 karma
    I used JY's since 7Sage was the first resource I used and I found his to be very intuitive and easy to use. Later on I incorporated some techniques from the Trainer, but only a few things that are easier to pick up if you have a solid fundamental technique already. My basic approach is pretty much exactly what you see JY do in the videos. It also makes it a lot easier to follow along with his explanations if you diagram symbols the same way.
    531 karma
    @pacifico how did you learn how to diagram rules? was it just after practicing with the problem sets that they came to you?
    180 karma
    @goalis180 that is a hard game! Trial and error... try laying out a couple different templates and taking it from there!
    531 karma
    @LoraxMan Do you mean trial and error to learn in the beginning? because I was reading and habits of a 99th percentile scorer are not trial and error, rather understanding how to set up the game board, which is what I am trying to do, but I guess I can not expect that kind of game to be easy if I just started studying logic games lollol
    180 karma
    I think trial and error was a poor choice of words, what I meant was even if you dont get the inferences initially in that particular game, try laying out several game boards
    531 karma
    ohh ok, yea I try to do that, still a bit tough for some games though, but I am sure that I will only get better with practice.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @goalis180 said:
    Was this similar for you when you started LG?
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say ... everyone goes through this early on. The issues you're having do not sound unusual at all. In fact, I am sure I had almost identical thoughts about a year ago. So keep on truckin' ... LG benefits the most from practice and exposure to many, many PT's/games. If only RC/LR got the same benefit just from practice. IF. ONLY.
    531 karma
    Yea I agree @nicole.hopkins, I think practice makes perfect on every section, and yea IF ONLY LOLLOL
    8021 karma
    @goalis180 said:
    @pacifico how did you learn how to diagram rules? was it just after practicing with the problem sets that they came to you?
    I had an intuitive feel for how to write out some things, and then I just adopted pretty much all of JY's methods from the videos in the LG lessons. I made a few modifications after reading the Trainer, but I'm still 80-90% JY style for LG.