Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is sobriety taboo in admissions?

gremckgremck Member

So as I redo my resume from my previous cycle, it's very clear to me that becoming sober has greatly improved my life and frankly I think I am much more put together as a person and will be a stronger candidate for law school. My drug of choice was alcohol which is something I know a lot of people struggle with even if it's in private. Now...I'm not really sure if I want to or if it's necessary to bring that up in a personal statement. But I attend a support group (not AA) for my sobriety and I am unsure if that's like unprofessional to say? I thought about mentioning it in the post-college or personal activities section.

On one hand, this is something I'm proud of and it means a lot to me to be a supportive person in their sobriety journey. But I also can see maybe an admissions officer saying (hm, that person had alcohol problems before, he shouldn't come to our school).

Comments

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited June 2022 6866 karma

I had a student once who actually went to prison for a while for drug-related things, and eventually came out the other end and became a counselor who helped others through similar things. He ended up going to a T-14. So no, the subject itself isn't taboo per se, but how you handle it will determine whether it's a good idea or not.

• gremckgremck Member
    102 karma

@"Jonathan Wang" thank you, I'm not sure if it will end up in any of my final application stuff, but just brainstorming.