Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Masters vs. law school

viviana7211viviana7211 Alum Member
in General 42 karma
Ok so I am currently doing my masters in counseling. Long story short I got into this field because it was "convenient". I always wanted to go to law school but always had an excuse (im too old, too expensive, too long) I enjoy my field but I think about law school all the time!
I am 27, my gpa for undergrad is 3.4, gpa for grad school is 4.0 first year 2nd semester.
Should I take a "leave of absence" from my masters and aim to study for the December LSAT? I have a lot of student loans and I would like to get a scholarship for law school. I am aiming for Seton Hall or Rutgers Newark (NJ). What LSAT score would I need with my gpa? Do they even look at my MS gpa?
Also would you even bother with law school, or just continue with my masters? Im sorry for all the questions, I am really confused and would like some opinions!
Thank you

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Grad GPA is just a soft, and not a super great one since most are inflated anyways. But you can use it to demonstrate a greater level of dedication or maturity relative to your undergrad experience.

Off the top of my head without checking stats I think you could get into either of those schools with a 160+ easily.

However, given your short timeline between now and December I would finish your Masters to have it over and done with, then really evaluate what you want to do and then start LSAT prep if you want to go to law school and then apply next year. If you're on the fence about even becoming a lawyer I wouldn't give up the progress you have made in grad school to pursue something else you're not sure about.
  • viviana7211viviana7211 Alum Member
    edited July 2015 42 karma
    Thanks for responding! I just started my masters. I would take me another two years to graduate. I meant I would withdraw this semester, take the time to study for the December LSAT, then take it from there? whether I return to my masters in January or go ahead with law school.
    I am on the fence on what to do. I don't want to keep committing, and taking out more student loans for something I don't truly enjoy.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Oh sorry for some reason I just assumed it was a two year masters. I'd say you really need to do some soul searching about what it is that you really want to do because law school when you don't really want to be there will be significantly worse than grad school when you don't want to be there.

If what you're doing now isn't making you happy then cutting your losses would definitely be a good idea, just make sure you are ready to address it during law school applications if that's the route you go.

On the bright side you're still wicked young and have plenty of time to figure things out, so I wouldn't rush into any of this just to try and make the December LSAT. If law school is ultimately the right choice for you because it's what you really want then the LSAT and law school will still be there for you later on once you make up your mind. Without proper motivation studying for the LSAT will totally suck so don't do it unless you're all in.
    42 karma
    Thank you for your reply. My plan has always been law school, but as I mentioned this masters was convenient so its what I did. Thank you for saying Im young, I feel the opposite! I don't want to keep making the wrong career choices, accumulate more debts and keep wasting time!
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Dec. isn't a long time to prep for the LSAT. If you've never taken a PT or done a course previously. The more time you dedicate to the LSAT the better you will score. You stated that you have a lot of student loans and will want a scholarship for law school, start studying now and work you way up to a 160+ score, once you reach that score you can decide when you're ready to take the LSAT. If you're in a Master's program and don't want to do it? Why are you in it? Especially if you're just accumulating more debt? Just a question you might want to ask yourself.
    42 karma
    Thank you for your comment. I guess you are right prepare for December and see how I feel as the date gets close. As far as your other question, when I started my masters I didn't say I hate this master let me do it, and even now I don't hate it. I just don't think is for me. I'm on summer break now and before I didn't feel so strongly about it like I do now.
    Thanks for replying!