160 - Should I re-take?

aev8aev8 Alum Member
in General 10 karma
Hey everyone! My first LSAT score was a 160 (less than 2 months of part-time prep) and I had a 3.8 GPA from a very well-recognized university. I applied and got into quite a few good schools (UPenn, UVA and waitlisted at Columbia) but no scholarship money at any of the top schools. I'm considering retaking the LSAT because I know that the score was by far the weakest element in my application. I know UPenn is a great school but I'm not interested in BigLaw; I'm more interested in International Humanitarian Law. Therefore, I'm a little hesitant about UPenn.

If I retake the LSAT and can improve my score, I might have a shot at NYU or a top 3 school and/or perhaps at a scholarship. Keyword being "might." I was wondering if you guys might be able help me make a choice. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If you really need the money then definitely retake. If you don't want to go to the schools you got into, then retake. Also, the type of law you want is incredibly hard to get into regardless of where you go to school because a ton of people have the same desire. I would not dismiss big law out of hand because there are firms that have international departments that might not be exactly what you're looking for but the experience there can give you connections to lateral out to find a unicorn job like what you're talking about.

I take it you got zero scholarship offers outright, is that the case? Have you tried negotiating between Penn and UVA at all?
  • SeaJayTXSeaJayTX Alum Member
    5 karma
    Do you mind revealing other data related to your application? (URM status, years of WE, etc.) I am in a similar situation -- in that my undergrad stats look better than my current LSAT score -- and have been panicked that I may not have a shot getting accepted at the schools I'd like to attend, which are similar to those to which you were admitted.
  • GordonBombayGordonBombay Alum Member
    456 karma
    If you have enough free time between now and October to pt consistently then by all means I would say re-take. There's no real risk in re-taking other than time wasted, and given that you scored a 160 with less than two months part-time prep there is reason to believe that you could score 165+.
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    217 karma
    As far as picking a school because of a 'specific focus' is not always the most practical way to go. I want to do civil rights/constitutional law, there are 3 schools I can go to UofH, South Texas, or Texas Southern. Both South Texas and Texas Southern have civil rights focuses but UofH is ranked near #50 on top schools list and the other two are closer to the 150 range.... So I am still going to apply to UofH, If I decide to go to UofH, then, Ill just have to choose the right electives, seminars, and internships to satisfy my desired focus. Other than duel degrees offered do not take a good school out of the running just because they do advertise your specific degree focus. At least call them and ask them if/and how you can satisfy your specialty at their school... That's what I did with UofH and they gave some really good advise.