Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I feel like I'm wasting time a lot while studying! What can I do better?

infinityandbeyond-1infinityandbeyond-1 Alum Member
in General 112 karma

I've been studying LSAT for 2 months full-time now but I still feel super lost.
I just took my first Prep Test (PT70) and got 152 because I could not finish any of the LSAC sections on time.
I feel like I do not have the "mental stamina" to do even one section with my best ability.

The most discouraging part is that I feel like I am wasting so much time and energy everyday (studying 6+hrs a day) but only get to do and review about 2 sections a day.

What can I do better and make the best out of my time before I take October LSAT?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• oluwabukolaoluwabukola Member
    31 karma

Try and have a set schedule when you study. I find that consistency in study times works best for me and promotes mental stamina. Additionally, stay well rested and well fed. I always overlooked that advice and tried to study on an empty stomach, but I definitely see better results when I have a snack with me.

• VafterworkVafterwork Member
    15 karma

Don't be discouraged by the mental stamina -- that's something you have to build up to and good chunk of the battle! However, if you feel like you're wasting your time, it might be a good idea to reassess your study habits. I agree that a schedule might help, but drilling your weak spots might help as well (e.g. if you struggle on MSS questions, drilling several of them in less time than the 'target' may help you get faster). Good luck!

• grugthesluggrugtheslug Member
    107 karma

i like to study in public (i daily the library) with a really public facing direction for my screen so shame of watching dumb videos on youtube or something keeps me accountable

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

It's a process. Take breaks when needed, but always try to come back to it. Try treating the LSAT like a marathon, not a sprint. Reach out to other test-takers for emotional support when needed :)

• whendoesitendwhendoesitend Core Member
    edited August 2022 40 karma

@grugtheslug said:
    i like to study in public (i daily the library) with a really public facing direction for my screen so shame of watching dumb videos on youtube or something keeps me accountable

This is a great strategy I do the same thing. A similar strategy would be to study at home in a shared living space if it's quiet enough so the thought of your parents/roommates seeing you slack off keeps you on track.

Also, rushing to take the LSAT is never a good idea. I rushed to take it last summer and the psychological stress lead to a horrible score. I decided to take a gap year and get some real experience while studying and now I feel great and am scoring great as well.

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited August 2022 4572 karma

Hey there!

Even for me when I was studying, taking 2 sections a day while reviewing them was my max as well, and took me just as long! Sometimes, I would even spend 1 hour journaling about just one question. Don't be too hard on yourself. Taking a deep dive on questions and learning the ins and outs of them helped me get other questions that were similar to it correct in the long run. The LSAT is hard, but remember that quality is always better than quantity. Make sure you're spending time diagnosing exactly what the issue is and exactly why you are getting questions wrong. That's how you'll improve the most.

If you want to learn more about issue diagnosis, feel free to schedule a consultation with one of our 7Sage tutors: https://calendly.com/7sage-consult/7sage-tutoring-free-consult?utm_source=DF_C