Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accommodations and Learning Disabilities

bpowell4bpowell4 Member
in General 26 karma

Dear Wonderful 7Sage community,

I have three disabilities that make a test such as the LSAT extremely difficult. The first is severe ADHD, which is common enough that I don't think I need to explain it.

The other two disabilities are 1) convergence insufficiency and 2) astigmatism. The result of these two ailments is that I have severe visual tracking issues which can't be fixed by prescription glasses and can only be mildly alleviated by physical therapy.

I have extensive issues with visual traction and reading. Essentially, when I try to read at quick speeds or for a long period of time, my eyes quickly fatigue, and tracking sentences becomes extremely difficult, As a result of this disorder, I have for years used a text-to-speech software named Speechify and do most of my private reading exclusively via audiobooks, and these disorders severely impacted my ability to do work and get readings done in Undergrad.

My question is THIS: should I request 50% or 100% increased time? These disabilities are quite difficult to deal with, but I don't know what the LSAT policies are like. I feel confident from what I know that I'll be able to get +50% time accommodations. However, I'm worried that if I request +100% increased time I may end up with nothing at all. Is this the case? Or if they deny my request for +100% increased time will I still be eligible for +50%?

(Note: to back up my claims I have a few decades' worth of professional diagnoses, proof of accommodation on the ACT, and additional paperwork. I do not, however, have proof of accommodation from my university since I (unwisely) did not request accommodations.)

Thank you.

Comments

• bpowell4bpowell4 Member
    26 karma

Note: I looked up the official Diagnosis. It falls under 5 categories technically. ADHD, Binocular Vision Disorder; Accommodative Eye Strain, Convergence Insufficiency, and Hyperopia.

Apologies for the lack of precision.

• woodpusherjbwoodpusherjb Member
    72 karma

I didn't do a lot of research when I applied for mine, so I can't give you great information, but I can tell you what I did. First, if you had an IEP, even if you only used it in high school, I would aim for the accommodations listed in that. For example, I submitted a diagnosis from when I was like 10, and my IEP which allowed me 50% extra time on all tests, and 100% extra time on any test or assignment with substantial written parts (essay questions or short answers over a paragraph essentially). This translated to me receiving 50% extra time on the test itself and 100% extra time on the written portion. It seems that they will follow what your IEP says.

26 karma

Thank you @woodpusherjb.

My only issue is that I have never had an IEP either in High School or College. Will this be a problem?

• Punjab-786Punjab-786 Core Member
    36 karma

Hi,

The fact that you did not previously have an IEP in high school or college does not matter. Additionally, you stated that you had accommodations on the ACT which means by default you should have the same accommodations on the lsat as long as you provide proof. This is what it says on LSAC's website regarding previous accommodations on standardized testing.
    ***If you were approved to receive testing accommodations on a prior administration of the SAT I, SAT II, ACT, GED, GRE, GMAT, DAT, and/or MCAT examinations, you will be approved to receive the identical (or equivalent) accommodations on the LSAT, provided that:

You have a letter or similar documentation from the test sponsor that details the specific testing accommodation for which you were approved (Verification of Prior Accommodation from test sponsor);
    The accommodation(s) that you request do not require the LSAT to be administered on more than one day;

You are requesting one or more of the following accommodations (which you previously were approved to receive on one of the tests listed above)***.

I did not have an IEP in high school or college and I was recently approved for 100% extra time due to my disability. If you are aiming for accommodations that are different from what you received on the ACT than you will need to meet with your doctor and have him/her complete the LSAC forms and provide reasoning for additional time. I hope this is helpful for you. Good luck!

26 karma

For reference, I received the additional +50% time with no additional difficulties.