PT22.S4.Q12 - most adults in country x

ChrisAlasChrisAlas Alum Member
edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 4 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-22-section-4-question-12/
Im having trouble understanding why B is the correct answer. I read over the stimulus several times over, but for some reason could not figure it out. I was hoping I could receive some help understanding.Thanks  

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    This is a MSS question type, so we are looking for an answer that has a high level of support. The 4 incorrect answer choices will likely have absolutely no support. This is helpful for us because we can quickly eliminate these unsupported AC.

The argument is a set of facts, and it is tough to prephrase the answer here. I personally thought it was a shoe-in that the question was going to test our knowledge of valid argument structures (combining two most statements with the same "sufficient" side variable produces a some statement because of necessary overlap within the "necessary" side characteristics)....but they didn't ask this of us, so :(.

Let's dive into the answers.

A: we do not know anything about the adults of other countries. Eliminate.

B: seems like a winner! How could people consume an increasing amount of fat, yet that percentage of fat remains constant? Mathematically, it has to be that they are consuming more total food to keep this ratio constant, or the percentage of fat of one's diet would increase.

C: we don't know anything about the diets of children in X, only about the diets of adults. Eliminate.

D: varied kinds of foods? We don't know anything about the kinds of foods they eat in X. Eliminate.

E: we don't know anything about their weight. Percentage of fat in one's diet is not necessarily indicative of weight. Eliminate.