PTB.S1.Q17 - The difference between manners..

baparacha-1baparacha-1 Member
edited October 2022 in Logical Reasoning 113 karma

If someone can explain this question to me, please do because I just do not get why they answer is A.

Comments

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

This is definitely a very tricky question, and POE is what helped me get to the right answer.

The stimulus starts off with stating the difference between manners and morals is the issue of being necessarily vs. not necessarily social in nature.

Now, taking that fact to be true, the AC A has very specific wording: One could be immoral (as in not satisfying proper morals) without harming other people. This means that one could violate the "rules" of morality (as in be immoral) without harming anyone because it isn't necessarily social in nature. Therefore, the rules of morality can still apply when one is alone.

On the contrary, one can NEVER violate the rules of etiquette alone because etiquette IS necessarily social in nature. Think of it as a sufficient/necessary setup; if there is no social situation, then the rules about manners (i.e. etiquette) are irrelevant-- you can't violate or satisfy them because you have failed the sufficient condition of having a social setting.

Hope this helps!