PT33.S3.Q08 - most people invest in the stock market without

yhchoi1687yhchoi1687 Alum Member
edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 80 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-33-section-3-question-08/
In JY's lecture, for the group 3 logical indicators such as "without", he mentions that we should negate any idea and make it as the sufficient condition. So for this question, I first negate "doing research of their own" and make it as a sufficient condition; that is, translate it into /R -most-> PISM, which was why I got wrong on this question.

But JY translate it into PISM -most-> /R. So I want to clarify whether this translation rule for logical indicators does not apply to "most" or "some" relationship.

Thanks!

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    The problem here lies with the order of your variables.

Your diagram reads: "Most people who do not do research on their own invest in the stock market."

The correct diagram, though, reads, "most people who invest in the stock market do not do research on their own." This is why PISM is on the right side, because this who we are talking about.

The difference between the two diagrams lies in the group you are describing, because the arrow only goes one way in "most" relationships. After you diagram, always read it back to yourself to see if it truly captures the meaning of the sentence.