Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Realization after studying a few weeks

MorganS1-MorganS1- Member
in General 50 karma

Idk if people who have scored high (170+) can attest to this, but I'm starting to realize that a key factor in this test is also understanding the answer choices just as much as you understand the stimulus/passage especially with tricky questions. This test is not easy! These testmakers are smart and know how to throw us off with questions that don't fit into the cookie cutter mold, while also making really appealing wrong answer choices. I just took a practice test and for many of the questions I fell for their tricks, while also not taking enough time to read each answer choice and fully absorb what it is saying in relation to the stimulus/passage. Not sure if many of you have also realized this, but this is just a tip for anyone who doesn't have a problem understanding the stimulus or passage but is still getting wrong answers. Pay attention to the mental steps you go through when evaluating the answer choices.

Goodluck to everyone!

Comments

• WhatIsLifeWhatIsLife Member
    810 karma

1000% percent this. I honestly feel like I miss more points from not understanding the answer choices than from not understanding passages or stimulus.

Because I'll know what the right answer is in my head, read the answer choices and none match. Then I'll watch J.Y's explanation and the correct answer will have the same logic/reasoning as what I thought the correct answer was

I still don't know how to get better at this but Loophole translations for stimulus helped me so much that I'm honestly considering just spending a week translating all the answer choices like I did with the stimulus.

• MorganS1-MorganS1- Member
    50 karma

@NowOrNever-1-1-1-1-1-1 I also have that problem or I'll have an idea of a right answer choice and if it is not there, it completely throws me off. I never heard of loophole translations. I might have to look into that.

• WhatIsLifeWhatIsLife Member
    810 karma

@"morgansmalls17-1" said:
    @NowOrNever-1-1-1-1-1-1 I also have that problem or I'll have an idea of a right answer choice and if it is not there, it completely throws me off. I never heard of loophole translations. I might have to look into that.

Loophole translations + Clir drills has made more difference on my LR score than anything else. I printed out 6 passages and then I'd translate/write out the stimulus in my own words, identifiy the question type and then write out an answer. It took me legit like 2 hours on a passage, and I did one every day for a week. The worst score I've gotten on an LR section after doing this is a -4. I highly recommend it

• pd288-1pd288-1 Member
    16 karma

I mean, this is the KEY to the LSAT. I do not complete LR/LG without arguing why all other choices are wrong.