Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys do when you can't focus?

in General 46 karma

My performance depends HIGHLY on my focus level. When I'm in the zone, I do so much better than when I do not. Sometimes when I study constantly, everyday, I lose focus and even though I try to sit down and study, I simply cannot. I even take so much longer reading and understanding the stimulus. Then I start doubting that studying when I'm not 100% focused is just waste of time (and waste of PTs too). I'm so worried because I can't control how to bring myself to "get in the zone." And it gets worse when I start getting so many questions wrong– I lose motivation. Even when I'm taking a rest, I feel like I should be studying, so I force myself to solve questions, get everything wrong, depressed, then it's a cycle. Sometimes I decide to refresh, study tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes, I can't. I feel so dumb right now. What should I do ??

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

You are as burnt out as I've ever heard of. Take time off. Real time off. Don't just sit around feeling guilty for not studying for a few days. Take a couple weeks and clear your mind. Allow yourself to enjoy it. Plan things. See friends. Do not think about LSAT. Do not feel bad about it. When you come back, adopt more sustainable practices. You should schedule your study time, but also your off time. When you are scheduled off, it is important that you let the test go. Even when I was studying full time, I could only do six hours a day. While I was working, I may could only manage an hour. In either case, when I had reached the end of my usefulness, I quit. Studying for the sake of studying does not result in learning. Remember: Studying is the means, not the ends. It doesn't do any good when we aren't learning and improving.

• candisaulscandisauls Core Member
    15 karma

When I can't focus, I take a break. I give myself a set amount of time to let me mind wander. If I don't take a break then I'll switch up my study method. For example, if I'm doing practice drills and my mind is elsewhere, I may stop practicing and watch an instructional video instead. Also, I've started drinking coffee and it's really helping me feel more energetic which is also helping with my study sessions.