Logic Indicators - "once" and "as soon as"

valarnonamevalarnoname Alum Member
edited October 2022 in General 24 karma

When I look up the definition of "once", it works like "when" - a Group 1 Indiciator.
I wanted to start with some statements and let's assume them all true.
1. Call me once he arrives.
2. Once John finishes his homework, he can help Mary.
3. Once the bridge is build, it will take 1 hour of driving from A to B instead of 5 hours around the island. (There is no other way around from A to B. Either you take the original route for 5 hours, or you take the new route by the bridge for only 1 hour.)
4. I will give you some eggs once my farm chicken lays eggs.
5. Once I get home, I will first take a shower.

Somehow, I think "once" / "as long as" works the same way as "if and only if".
1. I understand [he arrives -> call me]. Meanwhile, if he ever calls me, I know he must have arrived (call me -> he arrived).
2. John finishes -> help Mary. I know if John ever helps Mary, he must have finished his homework (help Mary -> John finished).
3. Bridge is built -> an hour of driving. I know if it takes an hour from A to B, then it must be from the bridge ( an hour of driving -> bridge).
4. & 5. same

Any thoughts are appreciated.

help

"once" introduces the logical indicators of _________.
  1. please select:1 vote
    1. Sufficient Condition
        0.00%
    2. Necessary Condition
        0.00%
    3. Both
      100.00%
    4. Not sure
        0.00%

Comments

• valarnonamevalarnoname Alum Member
    24 karma

I think the poll has a techinical bug. "sufficient condition" cannot be selected on my end.

• claremontclaremont Core Member
    590 karma

They're sufficient condition indicators. E.g., "once this sufficient condition is met → necessary condition."

1A. "Call me once he arrives" He arrives → call me"
    1B. "Meanwhile, if he ever calls me, I know he must have arrived"

1B doesn't follow necessarily from 1A because they're saying two different things. Try thinking about it this way, what if he calls you because he's lost and needs directions? Or what if he's calling to tell you he's running late, etc. Hope that helps.