PT93.S3.Q21 - Moral excellence can be achieved

edited November 2022 in Logical Reasoning 8 karma

Can someone explain this to me?

Comments

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

Sure! I liked this one too because it was one of those conditional logic questions.

The stimulus basically lays out this framework-- (I'm linking everything at once, but review the stimulus to see how it works)

Morally virtuous--> Moral Excellence --> Repeatedly overcoming inclinations to do the wrong thing

Just to quickly lay out the definition of "overcoming inclinations", a person has to be inclined/tempted to do something (in this case something wrong) in order to even overcome it in the first place. How would it be possible to overcome something that you weren't even struggling/had an issue with in the first place??

To give an out side example, if you want to throw a ball, you have to have the ball in your hand in the first place. Similarly, if you want to overcome something, you have to already have that thing as an issue needing to be overcome in the first place.

So, just to put everything together, anyone who is morally virtuous (link one of the conditional), had to have been inclined to do something that is wrong in order to overcome the inclination.

While this isn't an explicitly stated conditional, the definition of overcoming requires having the issue in the first place.

Hope this helps!