Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving from the low to mid 160's to the upper cap

ELPISTOLERO9ELPISTOLERO9 Alum Member
in General 285 karma

Hey everyone, i'm currently scoring in the low to mid 160's and i'm aiming to increase it to the upper 160's. I always BR there and definitely think it's possible. However, I have a limited amount of prep tests and only 10 weeks til my test. For those who overcame this hurdle, can you give some advice on what you did differently or started doing that got you there. Whether it is new drills, how you started approaching certain sections, study tips, etc.. I'm open to any suggestion and would highly appreciate it!

Comments

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

I would start thinking about testing strategy if you find your BR score in or very close to the 170s-- consider how to most efficiently get the most points you can in 35 minutes-- whether that means skipping or losing some certainty (dropping from 100% to 80% certainty when you do questions timed), figure out and implement an effective strategy that works for you.

• ELPISTOLERO9ELPISTOLERO9 Alum Member
    285 karma

@blanklaw I'm on the same mindset. It's just that I have limited amount of prep tests that makes me very cautious with whatever approach I take.

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

Hi there, I posted a response in another thread that pretty much outlines 3 steps to take to consistently break plateaus: (1) Standardized LR question-specific strategies; (2) Skipping Strategies; and (3) Wrong Answer Choice journals.

I'll just add that if you have a limited amount of tests to take, you may want to consider reusing some PTs you've already seen before to learn any new strategies, and only apply them to new PTs once you are comfortable with it. For example, if you're learning a new skipping strategy, make sure you try it on older material first.

Hope this helps!

285 karma

@Mike_Ross said:
    Hi there, I posted a response in another thread that pretty much outlines 3 steps to take to consistently break plateaus: (1) Standardized LR question-specific strategies; (2) Skipping Strategies; and (3) Wrong Answer Choice journals.

I'll just add that if you have a limited amount of tests to take, you may want to consider reusing some PTs you've already seen before to learn any new strategies, and only apply them to new PTs once you are comfortable with it. For example, if you're learning a new skipping strategy, make sure you try it on older material first.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot, it makes a lot of sense. But do you think that I could do this for sections rather than PT's? Like for days that are specific for LR, I would pull out a section from a past PT and implement my new strategy. I figured that doing this would be better for lower mental fatigue and I could figure out where my weakness would lie in each section. Where then I would fix them, repeat the cycle til I get the result I need and then go to a fresh PT.

3106 karma

@ELPISTOLERO9 said:

@Mike_Ross said:

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot, it makes a lot of sense. But do you think that I could do this for sections rather than PT's? Like for days that are specific for LR, I would pull out a section from a past PT and implement my new strategy. I figured that doing this would be better for lower mental fatigue and I could figure out where my weakness would lie in each section. Where then I would fix them, repeat the cycle til I get the result I need and then go to a fresh PT.

Absolutely. That’s what I meant! Take PTs you’ve seen, break them into sections and do those sections for whatever section type you’re working on that day. Once you see consistent results, you can go on to full PTs again.

Worry about getting good untimed first before doing it under timed pressure

285 karma

@Mike_Ross Thanks a lot, I appreciate the insight!

3106 karma

@ELPISTOLERO9 said:
    @Mike_Ross Thanks a lot, I appreciate the insight!

Absolutely. Feel free to reach out anytime