Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How soon is too soon to start doing Practice Tests?

rdelamatrdelamat Member
edited July 2015 in General 47 karma
Just to provide some background, I started studying for the test in June (completed the PS LG Bible and skimmed a bit of the LR Bible), and I started 7Sage (The Starter Course) two weeks ago. I'm currently 40% of the way through the 7Sage Core Curriculum, but I'm thinking about adding in timed sections every day or full PT's every day. My question is - how soon is too soon to start doing Practice Tests? I initially planned on taking the test on October 3rd, but I might change that to December.

Since I haven't completed the course, I'm worried that starting too soon will result in the development of bad habits. I have access to all of the Practice Tests released, and I'm fairly certain that I won't be able to complete them all with BR by the time October comes. It almost seems like they're just going to waste (and part of me just wants to make use of them already haha...). I know that another alternative is supplementing the course with questions that correspond to the question types I'm covering in the curriculum, but I'm not sure what the best method would be for incorporating them. That, and I don't know of any comprehensive list that can tell me which ones are which, in terms of question types, so I can just go straight to them (If anyone has something like this, it would be greatly appreciated!!!)

I've been studying full time, and can continue to do so until the end of September, at which point I'll have to cut down some due to school. It would just be nice (and reassuring, since I feel like I've been completely winging all of this lol) to get some advice on how I should be managing my study time. I've basically just been following the 7Sage syllabus to the T for the past two weeks, but I'm wondering if there's more that I should be doing as I'm going through it.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance! This website and forum have been great help!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Don't take any PTs until you finish the entire curriculum or else you'll definitely be wasting them by not having your toolbox full of all the skills you need. Don't worry about getting to every single one before October. Let your prep determine when you test, don't let the test determine how you prep, especially when it's making you prep worse than you would if otherwise unencumbered. You can definitely work in drilling as it comes up in the curriculum but don't get wrapped up in wanting to PT because you don't have all the fundamentals down yet and it will not be as beneficial as you're imagining it will be. Just keep grinding through the syllabus and concentrate on mastering the fundamentals and your patience will pay off later.
  • goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
    531 karma
    @Pacifico speaks the truth. OP, my situation is similar. I am 65% done with the course, and want to PT so bad, however I did not get to learn everything, and when I take my 2nd PT, I want it to be indicative of my skill, and I know that not knowing everything will not demonstrate my skill set. Just finish the course first it is absolutely worth it.
  • Student76Student76 Alum Member
    324 karma
    Prep tests are like gold. Don't waste!