PTA.S1.Q3 - In a democratic society, when a political interest group...

Danielle-5-1-1-1Danielle-5-1-1-1 Alum Member
edited December 2022 in Logical Reasoning 5 karma

I chose B with certainty in my blind review, but found out that D was the correct answer.
Is the answer choice B not the correct answer because it does not mention the "certain size" of political interest group?

Also, if D is the correct answer, does it mean that "as wide a membership as possible" is supported by what the passage says "exceeds a certain size"?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• EyeOfTheSlugEyeOfTheSlug Core Member
    edited December 2022 5 karma

B is not correct because it's a bit of a jump to say that a "democracy isn't functioning effectively" because of a few groups that can't get their act together.

Also, if D is the correct answer, does it mean that "as wide a membership as possible" is supported by what the passage says "exceeds a certain size"?

I would agree. I also don't think it hurts to say that the "expanding" part of that answer choice makes it even more agreeable with the stimulus.

• julia.grevejulia.greve Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    191 karma

Hey there,

First remember the question type we're dealing with - most strongly supported. That means we should be able to pick an answer and then find pretty darn good evidence for it in the stimulus. Answer choice B introduces information we cannot support based on the stimulus.

Answer choice B takes very strong position by telling us what happens in the case of an effectively functioning society. Our stimulus gives us no information on what is required of a society that is functioning this way. The stimulus tells us about when it is difficult to come together for a common issue, but does not connect us far enough to answer choice B.

You are correct in answer choice D saying expanding "as far as possible" puts it over the ideal amount. We do need an assumption to get to answer choice D, but we need far more assumptions to get to the other answer choices.

Hope this helps!