Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't finish on time

bodell.legere-1bodell.legere-1 Alum Member

Hi everyone,

This is in reference to LG but applicable for all sections, does anyone have tips for finishing on time more regularly? My blind review prep test scores are pretty good but without fail I leave a few questions blank (often 5 or 6 for LG) when I do practice tests.

TIA!

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited December 2022 2239 karma

For LG specifically, I think speed comes with sharpening your fundamentals.

You’ve probably seen forum posts or prep courses discuss how LG is the most “mechanical” or “repetitive” section. This doesn’t mean you’ll literally see identical games on different PTs, but rather that game types are extremely repetitive, rules are largely repetitive, and, as a result, many inferences are repetitive.

With LG, after you do enough of the same kinds of games, things will start to become second nature. For example, after you do a bunch of sequencing games, mess up a bunch, watch JY’s explanation for the game, see how he thinks and represents certain rules, see how you could’ve done better, redo the game “correctly,” and attempt new sequencing games, you’ll see rules that are the same as ones you’ve seen in the past and inferences that are the same. The same is true for grouping games. After a while, a lot of the rules you struggled to comprehend and board setups you struggled to create quickly will become easy. You won’t think. You’ll just do.

As things become second nature, you’ll get faster. You won’t have to spend time thinking about a lot of rules, questions, and setups. Additionally, you’ll just have a better sense of where pressure points are in a lot of games and you’ll feel far more comfortable making sub game boards. Trust me, this is coming from a guy who struggled to complete even the easiest games when he started! I know it can feel like you’ll never complete sections on time and accurately, but if you attempt enough games and put solid effort into your review, it’ll get easier. I hope this helps!

• elias.christensenelias.christensen Yearly + Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited January 2023 37 karma

You do get a lot faster with time and practice! But more specifically, one thing I'd suggest is taking extra time to think about how to attack each question most effectively when you're on blind review. Is a question based more on the rules or on comparing answers to a board? Is there a way to eliminate wrong answers quickly? If you have to rely on testing answers, does anything stand out about the right answer that would clue you in that it's a useful one to focus on earlier in the process? Is there a board from a previous question that provides a potential answer? These are all ways that I've been able to approach LG questions more efficiently and spend as little time as possible on them without sacrificing accuracy.

If you need help figuring out where to start on these strategies, you can always schedule a free 30-minute consult with one of our tutors here for more advice: https://calendly.com/7sage-tutoring/7sage-tutoring-free-consultation?utm_source=FCA_A&month=2022-12