Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any value to redo RC and LR sections?

wendy282wendy282 Alum Member
in General 42 karma
I have been redoing LG games and they're very helpful. I wonder for difficult RC and LR questions that I've blind reviewed before, is it a high yield activity to redo the difficult RC and LR questions? If so, what do you think a good time before reattempting them (eg: 3 days, 1 week or longer). Thank you for your help.

Comments

• bluejaysbluejays Alum Member
    edited July 2015 42 karma
    1 day is good for me and I find redoing them very helpful in understanding the fundamentals
  • wendy282wendy282 Alum Member
    42 karma
    Thank you!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    You can also compile a list of every question you get wrong during PTs and then make new drilling sections with just those questions.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    You can also "star" questions you miss on PT's using 7sage analytics ... This is HUGE to me as I can simply select all of my tests and sort by the stars! And then target them with my intellect.

• Jsohn001Jsohn001 Member
    70 karma
    I think I might have seen a post somewhere about this but I can't seem to recall where it was. I bought the Cambridge packets by section type and I've been focusing on my weaknesses. I'm taking a break from PTs for a few days to recalibrate some fundamental issues. These packets are so helpful. Im finally seeing a general pattern! Anyways, I want to take it a step further and drill some full length LR practice sections. I saw someone posting how to cut/paste and create individual ones, like the way @Pacifico mentioned. Is there an easy way to go about this? If not, is there a way I can buy old LR sections from prep tests 1-35? Or just redo LR sections from preptests I've already completed. Any thoughts?Side note @Pacifico and @nicole.hopkins You guys are awesome
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    You could copy all the pages as PDFs and then cut the questions you want and paste them into a word document... As long as you're not sharing them I don't think you'd be violating any copyrights or anything.
  • Jsohn001Jsohn001 Member
    70 karma
    OK I figured that was the only way about it. Thanks.
  • Grey WardenGrey Warden Alum Member
    813 karma
    How do you guys copy from pdf prep test files?
    7965 karma
    @Jsohn001 said:
    Side note @Pacifico and @nicole.hopkins You guys are awesome
    7965 karma
    @Riju2015 said:
    How do you guys copy from pdf prep test files?
    You got a Mac? Command + Shift + 4 then select portion of the screen. Saves to desktop.
  • gs556gs556 Member Inactive Sage
    edited July 2015 568 karma
    During my prep I rarely re-worked LR and never reworked RC. This was because I was taking PTs so often that usually the BR was enough.

However, one strategy I did use was to flip through the last 2-3 PTs I had completed and try to remember what I had learned from them. So, for example, as I'm flipping through an old PT I'd see a question I missed and think "my logic was wrong in x way." I would then let my mind sit on that "lesson" for a minute or so to make sure I absorbed what I needed to from it. I would do this exercise for a half hour before taking that day's PT. It was great because it doubled as review and warm-up.
    7965 karma
    @gs556 said:
    It was great because it doubled as review and warm-up.
    Like this idea a lot!
  • gs556gs556 Member Inactive Sage
    568 karma
    One additional tip: I didn't restrict the exercise to questions I got wrong. Sometimes I learned just as much from questions I got right. A lot of the time I would get questions right because I had developed a good LSAT intuition. To further refine that intuition, during the review I would try and articulate the gut feeling that had helped me pick the right answer choice, or, more accurately, eliminate the wrong ones.
  • Grey WardenGrey Warden Alum Member
    813 karma
    @nicole.hopkins thank you so much this is great :)
  • jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma
    You can cut some questions out and paste them in a notebook and then do them time to time. If you do them more than 3 times and you never miss any of them, then you can remove these questions. When you find that your notebook is getting thinner and thinner, you realize how much you've learned. One of the most common ways that Chinese high school students do, especially those genius. :)
    7965 karma
    Another value to redoing sections is a confidence boost.

Unless you're really good at memorization in ways I can't fathom, you won't remember "oh, it's C/it's the answer about famous poets writing for the magazine." Well, you might—but not for nearly as many Q's/AC's as you might think. And while you have likely learned how to do particular questions, retaking sections at least can firm up the sagging bits of our sanity and provide at least some semblance of "yes, it's working." I think the fact that the LSAT does NOT seem to be "working" so much of the time—even after many hundreds of hours—or at least thwarts our typical expectations for ROI is one of the primary challenges of the test. Allowing yourself to experience a confidence boost via a successful retake can help prevent burnout and ensure that the experience retains a positive association.

We spend a lot of time discounting our retake scores around here. But ya know what? You done a good job and you should allow yourself to feel good about it. You did well on that test on that day, and you should continue to trust the process.

PT scores aren't just about "predicting" your "test day" scores. They're also a tool to help keep your fires burning when times are lean (as they so ... very ... often ... are ...).
  • jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma
    @nicole.hopkins That's part of the reason why I love retake. Dawwwww.
    7965 karma
    @jyang72 said:
    That's part of the reason why I love retake. Dawwwww.
    I truly believe confidence boosting is legitimate in its own right. Fresh tests serve a purpose, retakes serve a purpose. Both are, in my opinion, necessary.