Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URM?

danytran9danytran9 Alum Member

Hello,
I'm quite new to the application process for US schools and I have a question regarding URM status. I was born and raised in Vietnam, immigrated to Canada and became a Canadian citizen this past year. If I apply to US law schools, would I be considered URM? Or do I need to be a US citizen for that?
Thank you.

Comments

• sucralosedaddysucralosedaddy Alum Member
    edited March 2023 310 karma

2 points.

1. Ethnically you are Vietnamese which falls under 'Asian' in the "race and ethnicity classifications" (I don't believe there is a subcategory specifically for 'SE Asian'). URM status (your 'racial and ethnicity') has nothing to do with nationality (Canadian for you).

2. In practice, I believe with law school admissions you are not a URM ("under represented minority") on the bases that Asian's aren't 'under represented' in Law School compared to the population in general. Currently the 'under represented' are Hispanic/Latino, American Indian/native, Black/African American, and pacific Islander

Examples.

• For instance you are a White South African, you are of European decent and not a URM.

• If you are Black French or Black Greek (Shout out Giannis) whether by birth or immigration, you are 'Black' racially/ethnically so you would be a URM.

The only exclusion to the rule would be if you are Spanish from Spain, you are Hispanic, but not 'Latino', but the LSAC categorizes those two together so you would be a URM.