PT17.S3.Q19 - of all the houses in the city's historic district

catatac7catatac7 Alum Member
edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 24 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-17-section-3-question-19/
Why is A incorrect? Is it because having the tallest peaks in the region doesn't mean it has the absolute tallest peaks?

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    A is incorrect because the second premise says that the tallest peaks in the entire region are in the coastal mountain range. Thus, if a peak is the tallest in the coastal mountain range, and we know the peaks in the range are the tallest in the region, then we can conclude that the tallest mountain in the range is also the tallest in the region.

Think of it this way:
    •The tallest boys in school are all in Jessica's class.
    •Billy is the tallest boy in Jessica's class.
    •Therefore, we can conclude Billy is the tallest boy in school.
  • catatac7catatac7 Alum Member
    24 karma
    Thank you for the explanation. The most important thing I missed is that it is a "parallel flaw" question, not just parallel reasoning. In PF questions, correct logic will show up in some answer choices that would otherwise parallel the logic except for the flaw.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Yea, some answer choices will be good arguments, which you can eliminate immediately on PFR questions. I would argue that a good argument could never parallel the logic of a flawed argument, but that may be a little nit-picky because I understand exactly what you mean lol.