Disagree Questions, PT33.S3.Q19 - forcing people to help others is morally wrong, for example

tiptonmaudetiptonmaude Core Member
edited May 2023 in Logical Reasoning 62 karma

Hey! I remember reading somewhere or learning from an explanation video that in disagree questions each author must explicitly state the answer choice in order for it to be correct. Therefore, an answer choice wouldn't be correct if only one author discusses it.

Here is the question I am stuck on: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-33-section-3-question-19/

The correct answer is B. I eliminated all of the answer choices discussing emigration because Raphaela doesn't discuss emigration. Could someone provide more insight into their method for disagree questions?

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question" Also, please do not post the entire question and answer choices for the LSAC question, this is against the Forum Rules

Comments

• sonamsjsonamsj Core Member
    27 karma

hi! I really struggled with this question type too, but found someone's advice that I read in a different comment section to be super useful:

Although it might seem straightforward, I think it's helpful to read person B's and remember that there is a specific part of person A's argument that they are disagreeing with, decide what that disagreement is, and then turn to the answer choices. Approaching the questions this way has really helped my performance on this question type. It's always a good idea to stop and think for a second after reading person B's argument and ask yourself "what part of person's A argument are they disagreeing with?" Because you know there has to be a point of disagreement.

For this one, I would read person A, and then read person B, and stop and think: ok, they are disagreeing with person A that there is NO GOVERNMENT that has the right to do this thing. Person B is saying actually, this one type of government does have the right. Person B's argument goes if the government gives people the freedom to leave --> then they have the right to redistribute resources.

As far as the emigration question, I would paraphrase in my mind that B actually says "any government that gives people the freedom to leave [same thing as emigration] --> right to redistribute resources"

You know that person A would say No (since they said NO GOVERNMENT has the right) and person B would say Yes (because this is exactly their argument, that if you permit emigration --> right to redistribute).

Hope this helps!

• tiptonmaudetiptonmaude Core Member
    62 karma

Omg you are so amazing. This was so helpful. In the explanation JY says that what they both don't discuss is helping people. That is the key item that should not be in the answer choice, not emigration.