Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

October vs. December LSAT Advice

JeepWranglerJeepWrangler Member
in General 23 karma
I am in need of some advice. I am currently registered to take the October LSAT but feel as though more time to study would be extremely beneficial. I plan on enrolling fall 2016 and am heading into my last undergraduate semester this fall. I have been told that it is preferable to take the October LSAT but am wondering if December would be better in my case.

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @islander94 said:
    I have been told that it is preferable to take the October LSAT but am wondering if December would be better in my case.
    Where are you at in your prep? What curricula have you completed and how many PT's have you done?
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    I find myself in this predicament as well. I have two schools in the area that I am really aiming at. One, a private school with a lot of reach in the southeast, has a median in the mid-160s with a 75th around 168. The other school, my safety school, is a state school with a media of 159 and 75th of 161. I am stuck in the mid to upper 150's at the moment with my PT. While I would love to say I'll be ready in October and feel confident for a 165+, I am contemplating delaying until December to put myself in the best possible shape for a 168. The argument of October vs. December I think centers around the depth of each in the admission cycle. Of course October is earlier in the cycle, but I believe December isn't considered as deep into the cycle anymore due to the lull in applications. Schools are having a harder and harder time filling their classes with the applications they are receiving. In the case of both of my schools, anything submitted before March 1 gets full attention from the committees. While I don't think there is anything wrong with retaking, I am trying to put myself in the position of taking just one and being done. In a nutshell, it may be more beneficial to take it in October, but those benefits could possibly be offset by rushing with your studying, taking it before you're ready and then end up having to take it again. Just my opinion.
    7965 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" said:
    One, a private school with a lot of reach in the southeast, has a median in the mid-160s with a 75th around 168.
    Which?
    1644 karma
    Emory
    7965 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" said:
    In a nutshell, it may be more beneficial to take it in October, but those benefits could possibly be offset by rushing with your studying, taking it before you're ready and then end up having to take it again.
    If @Pacifico were responding to this, I think he would say ... Applying with a higher score is always going to be to your advantage. Higher in December is better than lower in October. Yes, retakes are fine. They truly are. But taking in October when you're not ready for October is just kind of a waste of time and money. Ultimately there's $175 on the line, and there's no reason to waste the money if you can avoid it.
    1644 karma
    Yep. I totally agree. I stay positive about my progress but it's important to be realistic. I have 10-12 points to go and I feel as though I have a much better shot by trusting the process until December instead of rushing for October. And, I'm only 15 or so PTs in. So I'm asking myself, "why rush?"
    7965 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" said:
    I feel as though I have a much better shot by trusting the process until December instead of rushing for October.
    Trust your gut and trust the process :)
  • JeepWranglerJeepWrangler Member
    23 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Higher in December is better than lower in October.
    I think you pretty much nailed it on the head here...I find it difficult to justify rushing and am leaning more toward December. As for studying, I have gone through the 3 PowerScore Bibles, 38% into the ultimate 7Sage curriculum, and about halfway into The LSAT Trainer. I have only done a few PTs as I am laying off on heavily PTing until I finish the course entirely.
  • therogerdeantherogerdean Alum Member
    75 karma
    This is a test to determine where you will be for at least 3 years-- which is very important to your happiness. I would rather take a few months to make sure I get my best effort in and get it done right.