June 2023 LSAT - RAM Usage?

rose1346rose1346 Alum Member

Hi all,

I've been using the ProctorU "Test My Equipment" ahead of test day and it keeps telling me my RAM usage is over 95%. I have closed all other applications and google chrome tabs (plus this is a relatively new computer so there is not a lot taking up storage)--not sure what else I can try?! Anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Appreciate any tips people have, thanks!!

Comments

• somaaaaasomaaaaa Alum Member
    22 karma

Hey I had the same issue! Disable all other Chrome extensions!! I was using an adblocker and it immediately went down to like 84% or something after I disabled it. Good luck today/tomorrow!

• rose1346rose1346 Alum Member
    18 karma

Thank you so much! ProctorU is actually the only extension in my google chrome :(

Will take any other ideas! (And my test is tomorrow so I have (some) time to sort this out.)

• collegeinthewoodscollegeinthewoods Alum Member
    26 karma

If you have a hard drive that you can pull some documents/videos/photos off your laptop i would highly recommend doing so! Clear your cache and make sure that you have at least 10-20% free storage. I used OmniDiskSweeper and OnyX to clear some space and then updated my computer to the newest software. For my last LSAT my proctorU "Test my equipment" all went fine and then on test day my computer would not connect to the server at all -- took over an hour of tech support with them and I eventually gave up and (thankfully) was able to use a different laptop to start my test. Certainly a nerve wracking way to kick off test day, hope everything goes okay for you tomorrow! Good luck!

• rose1346rose1346 Alum Member
    18 karma

Thanks everyone (and sorry to hear about your difficult testing experience!). I'm sure you crushed it.

In case it helps anyone else:

I ended up calling Apple support... who was even more confused since I am only using 25/245 GB of storage on my computer (with no other extensions, tabs, or applications open). After speaking with Apple, I contacted Proctor U support staff and they sent me a new test link, different from the one in your ProctorU account. The link asked me to download the testing software. The support staff said if that worked, your computer should be good to go. They also said to log on 30 minutes early to work out any potential tech issues (which are still always possible and my personal frustration with remote testing).

• cliflm19cliflm19 Alum Member
    12 karma

I freaked out about this for my April LSAT because I was also at like 98% RAM and could not get it down. For me, it did not matter at all on test day, everything went fine and my proctor did not say anything. That was most other people's experience that I came across on the internet as well. I think it actually has something to do with the way that apple computers operate.

I would say to make sure to restart your computer and close out other tabs, but do not worry!!! Everything should be fine on test day!

• rhodes901rhodes901 Alum Member
    5 karma

How much RAM do you have in your computer (not storage)? It may be that because they're monitoring all the processes on your computer it's making it chug.