Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many people think age matters?

tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
in General 2573 karma
I had a discussion with a coworker yesterday about taking the LSAT. I just turned 32 in May and she kind of frowned at my age. I felt she was frowing because she felt I am too old to be pursuing law school. By no means do I agree. I'm 100% certain (not really, but I would definitely bet my rent money and car payment on this!) I'm not the oldest person to pursue law school. I just wanted to know others perspectives. A little of my story. I never wanted to go straight from undergrad to law, so I never tried. Looking back on everything I probably would've had to drop out anyway. I couldn't find a job after graduating (2006) so I decided to go back to school for my paralegal certificate (2007). I've worked as a paralegal in various areas since. I've definitely wanted to get started with LSAT prep a lot earlier than now but life had other plans. I was diagnosed with cancer in 2008. Took my first LSAT Dec 6 2008, 5 days after being diagnosed. My score was horrible! Til this day I have refused to tell anyone my score. Now, under the circumstances I had no business taking that test, but I wanted to keep things as "normal" as possible. Admittedly, I wasn't even entirely prepared for the test. I finished chemo and all treatments in June 2009. Of course it took me awhile to jump back up on the pony so the LSAT was placed to the side. After more scares and more surgeries I'll fast fwd to 2013. I was ready to move forward with my studies. My health seemed to be ok. April 2013 I had surgery to have a tumor removed from the base of my brain. This surgery knocked me on my @ss!!! I was just not ready. At all! Worse than the chemo! It took me about 6-8 weeks to bounce back, but not entirely. Just enough to return to work. I've always suffered from allergy and sinus issues. For some reason the symptoms turned up in 2012-2013. I suffered back to back chronic sinus infections and ear infections. Lost slight hearing in one ear. Didn't even know that was possible. Antiobiotics and steroids no longer helped so here I was back in surgery about 8 weeks post "brain surgery"!! Probably not the best decision but obviously my neurologist and ENT were aware of my history. Again I got knocked all the way down!! The recovery for this one was even longer. After 1 more minor procedure in 2013 I was ready for 2014. After playing around with other materials I was fully committed to 7Sage. After lots of distractions, lazinees, stubborness and procrastination 2015 will be the year for me. I don't see the reason for having to take the test in October so I'll take it in December if necessary. I hate to say, "I only need a XXX." I've decided to see how far I can push myself to achieve the best score possible for me. Just because I'm that stubborn! I've decided to not let the LSAT have me! LOL Anybody else dealing with age or any other issues that may seem like the "law school ship" has sailed?

Comments

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    I'm 32 and will turn 33 in December. I'm 12 years disconnected from my undergrad in Business. I built houses for a living until the poop storm of 2008 and immediately got into law enforcement. I had a successful career in it at a medium sized department. I have since left that department and started at my small, hometown department. It gives me the freedom to conduct business as I see fit and study for the LSAT all while being within a quarter mile of my home. If the law is something one really and truly wishes to go, nothing should stop them. Especially age.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 8021 karma
    LMAO... no offense but your coworker is an idiot... check this out:

http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/3305/older-lsat-takers

We have people twice your age studying for the LSAT... We have doctors in their 50s studying for the LSAT... And that's just people on 7Sage... Everyone has their own journey to get where they're going, and some of us just like to take the scenic route...

Anyways, congrats on the progress of your recovery and I would just say that depending on your goals, it doesn't have to happen now... The LSAT and law school will always be there for you when you are ready, so don't put unrealistic restrictions on yourself if you have no need to (and if you feel you need to then you need to evaluate why you think that is the case).

I turned down an opportunity to go to a service academy to play a sport and not have to deal with all of the crazy congressional LORs and all of that because I would've incurred a 5 year service obligation and 27 felt ancient to me when I was 18. Instead I chose to go to a T25 school where my parents and grandparents met that I was pretty much destined to attend from birth due to all the indoctrination in my family. Then I ended up not joining the Army until I was 25 and I enlisted with 90k in student loans, so I was pretty far removed from where I could've been otherwise since I'd be a Major with no college loans now instead of a Staff Sergeant still paying off his. I'm going to be 32 when I sit for the LSAT, and turn 33 as soon as I start law school, but I met my wife at the college I went to and we have an awesome family and I wouldn't trade this journey for anyone else's. I just know it's time for me to get serious about law school and sure I have plenty of people telling me not to do it, but people will always say shit like that, just do you and you'll be fine.
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    @tanes256, first of all, I commend you for overcoming adversities and never letting your circumstances get the best of you. I am looking forward to the day when you become a big shot lawyer and give seminars to people about how you rode past your situation and became the best you could be. Heck, you can do so now.

I will be 29 in December and plan to start law school when I will be 30 (almost 31). Up till now, I have had a successful career in Business. When in undergrad, I did workterms at CIBC, Scotiabank (two of the five major banks in Canada) and GE Capital. As soon as I finished undergrad, I started in the Leadership Development Program of Bell Canada (major telecom of Canada). After that, I worked at Coca Cola as an Analyst. Currently, I am with Lindt Canada in their Sales Strategy department. If I want, I can continue to work hard at do relatively well in the business field. However, there is an internal calling in me to go to law school. It is really really strong. It is also the driving force for me to work hard right now. I can say "screw you" to that feeling and continue with my current work field, however, I am SURE that years down the road when I am stuck in a boring meeting or stuck on a stressful project, I will think back to the day when I said "no" to my internal feeling and have nothing but regrets. And that will be a very sad thought. I currently work with a Key Account Manager for a large retail chain in Canada who also wrote his LSAT in early 2000s. Even though he had the grades to get into law, he decided against it and let "life" happen to him. Now, he says that he regrets that decision and it is hard for him to law school now that he has family, kids, and a mortgage to pay.

Is there a chance that I will regret not continuing on with my current field? Of course there is a chance. I understand that law school and the practice of law aren't exactly sunshine and rainbows. However, it's a chance I am willing to take. Why? Because of that strong internal/gut feeling of mine. I love the following quote by Steve Jobs and it is exactly why I plan to pursue my goals and aspirations without letting fear get the best of me:

"You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life."
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    At the law firm I work for now, 2 of the lawyers here started in law school after they already had established careers (one, a professor, the other, in computers). Age is just a number.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    This is all so great to hear! I've wanted to be an attorney since 4th grade. I honestly don't know what else I would do. I've always marched to the beat of my own drum, so constantly hearing people say it's too late never bothered me. I was just curious to see how many have been told this and how many actually believe it. Very interesting. I have several friends that are now beating themselves up because somewhere along the way they got it in their heads that your career should be established at 30. I clearly remember hearing this constantly from a friend all through college. She did one year of law school and flunked out. Of course she'll never admit it though. She tried Ritalin and other stuff but it didn't work. I think she was pressured by her parents careers. Moms a judge and dad is a superintendent I think. She now works on various peoples campaigns and whatever retail position. I think she still has time but she tries to mask it saying that she no longer wants to pursue it. Sad. I'm still pushing on. One time for the "old heads"!
  • notwilliamwallacenotwilliamwallace Alum Member
    1049 karma
    Also, @tanes256, you probably are already aware of this but given your history of illness, you can qualify for accommodations on the LSAT. So, if you feel like you require accommodations to level the playing field with other LSAT writers, you should definitely apply for and obtain them. LSAT makes it especially difficult to obtain accommodations but they are justified in your case. Again, that's only if you feel like you require them. If not, all power to you and I truly wish you the best.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    30 is the new 20...
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 7965 karma
    @tanes256 said:
    Took my first LSAT Dec 6 2008, 5 days after being diagnosed.
    That's ok—it's expired by now anyway!
    @tanes256 said:
    Anybody else dealing with age or any other issues that may seem like the "law school ship" has sailed?
    There are SO many people around this forum who are your age or older. Check out this recent thread (@pacifico mentioned): http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/21214