PT3.S4.Q23 - In a new police program...

arianaguerrero510arianaguerrero510 Live Member
edited July 2023 in Logical Reasoning 14 karma

Hello I was wondering if anybody could help me with the reasoning in AC A and C.

I see how the correct answer choice of A would weaken the argument, if true, so I see how it's the right answer, however I am having trouble seeing why C is not the answer. My thinking was that time plays a role, like an alternative hypothesis/factor affecting theft rate in the neighborhood, that would justify less theft overall? So I dont know what is not clicking

Any help is appreciated!

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of question”

Comments

• Pearson_Specter_LittPearson_Specter_Litt Live Member
    edited July 2023 85 karma

Hi, let me take a crack at it. The stimulus talks about this new police program and how there are car owners that can display a special decal and allow cops to stop their cars during a certain time period. The stimulus goes on to state that the theft rate for cars bearing such decals is lower... The question stem for this one is interesting because the conclusion is in the question stem "if it is concluded from the statements above that automobile theft has been reduced by the program...."

We can see that the author is trying to make a causal argument. The argument being that automobile theft has been reduced by the program! So one thing you can ask yourself is maybe there is another reason or alternate explanation? Even though there might be a correlation, is the police program (special decals) the reason why car theft is much lower for cars with special decals?

With answer choice C- Are cars in neighborhoods that are actively participating in the program sometimes stolen during daylight hours? What if you say yes to this question. Does that weaken the argument or help us in any way? No. Imagine if you answered yes to this question, the author tell us that theft rate for cars with these decals is much lower. Also, I do no think it matters what time they were stolen. Sure some were stolen during the day-time but the question stem/stimulus is concerned with the effectiveness of the program. The program being the reason for the reduction of theft!

Hope this helps and feel free to message me.